Just ordered the 2408WFP...

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Cool, glad you like the display...............:)

I know it took me a little to get used to my 24" (old one was a Samsung 20WS) when I got it, guess its all the extra room or something.

Now I can't see how the wife puts up with her tiny little 19" standard.

I'll be looking forward to the full review in the coming weeks.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Now I can't see how the wife puts up with her tiny little 19" standard.

The difference is incredible, that's for sure. I had the same experience when I upgraded from 1280x1024 to 1680x1050. It was one of those "why did I wait so long???" moments, for sure. The same applies here, although I already knew what it was like to deal with 1920x1200 (and 2560x1600), so that much in itself was not too much of a learning curve.

Not sure if it's the two Guinness and energy drink I had, but the monitor is increasingly becoming easier to look at. I think I'll get used to this brightness. Looking forward to seeing how it performs in games though (Linux is quite limited in game testing, obviously).

I did a quick test with Sauerbraten, though, and it looked fantastic. I hope that will apply to all other games as well. I'd be a happy camper.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
For some reason, I've seen a lot of people "upgrade" from the 2407 to the 2408, but I am not sure what it accomplishes. This is a great monitor, but the prime difference seems to be the brightness overall. The contrast ratio is superb as well, but I haven't done enough tests to see the true benefit. I almost wish I had a 2407 on-hand so I could do a head-to-head comparison.

I'll send you my 2407 if you send me your 2408... :cool:

The display is BRIGHT. It defaults at 50% and even this is bright. So bright, that I might very well turn it down after a while if I find it to be too much. On the other-hand though, it might just seem extra-bright due to the fact that I'm a bit tired.

Yes, exactly! 2407 defaults to 50%, but it is bright enough to blind people... it was fine for me, but one day I turned it down because my eyes were hurting for other reasons... oddly I left it at 40% and now I can't even tell I dimmed it at all, seriously. :confused: You should try maxing out the brightness on your bright, new shiny 2408 to 100%... just remember those sunglasses first. :D

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I think that most S-PVA's default to 50%, my Soyo does the same..............;)

But that's way to bright for my liking, I had to turn it way down, currently set at 35%.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, exactly! 2407 defaults to 50%, but it is bright enough to blind people... it was fine for me, but one day I turned it down because my eyes were hurting for other reasons... oddly I left it at 40% and now I can't even tell I dimmed it at all, seriously.

I did the same thing just an hour ago. I hopped on the computer and had a headache to begin with, and wasn't finding that the monitor was helping. I turned the brightness down to 40% and things seem to be better, but it is indeed hard to tell the difference overall, haha. I could see the difference ever-so-slightly as I was turning it down, but looking now, I can't really see what was changed. Seems a bit easier on the eyes though.

I think that most S-PVA's default to 50%, my Soyo does the same..............;)

Ahh, could be!

BoySCouT

E.M.I.
I just bought a DELL E248WFP and compared to my DELL 2005FWP it seems to no be quite as good, color wise. What is the difference between the E248 and the 2408WFP?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I just bought a DELL E248WFP and compared to my DELL 2005FWP it seems to no be quite as good, color wise. What is the difference between the E248 and the 2408WFP?

About $220.

*takes a bow*

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

NicePants42

Partition Master
I'm definitely looking forward to your review, Rob.

Although, I'm still pretty happy with my $140 Sony FW900. :p

NicePants42

Partition Master
Glad to hear it. I'm equally pleased I don't have a monitor that makes my desk bow ;-)

That is a good point - I have a 2x4 wedged under the main portion of the desk, and a shimmed 1x6 on top of that holding up the monitor shelf. It's been working well for nearly two years.