Just ordered the 2408WFP...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For a while now, I've been using the 20" ASUS PW201 on my work machine, and while it has kick-ass color and super image quality, it's come time for an upgrade. I am finding 1680x1050 to be quite limiting with my work flow. It's hard to explain, but certain ways that I handle things would benefit greatly from the larger resolution of the 24" model. I think most people who've used a 24" display can easily relate.

Choosing this particular model was pretty much common-sense to me, so I feel confident in choosing it. It offers a stellar color gamut of 110%, 400 cd/m2 brightness, superb 3000:1 contrast ratio (I wonder if it's accurate?) and a respectable 6ms response time. Though I won't have much need for anything other than DVI, it's nice to know that everything else is supported (even DisplayPort).

It's amazing to me how much better displays are getting all of the time. Not that the original 24" Dell was a bad monitor (it certainly isn't), we've come a long way since then, and it wasn't even that long ago. This monitor retails at the same price as the original (as far as I can recall), but offers incredible specs. Such is the way of technology, though.

I'll do my best to make time in order to review this beast, although I'm sure I could write the entire thing without even taking a look at it (the specs/price pretty much tell all).

Did I mention this is the same model we are including in our contest? ;-)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6272

Attachments

• 2408wfp_overview1.jpg
    2408wfp_overview1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 465

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
You should be pretty happy with the display I think, it has just about every option a display can come with...........;)

Dell 2408WFP, 6ms G2G, 24"WS Samsung S-PVA

Same type of panel that the Gateway you just reviewed comes with.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
All this recent talk of large LCD's is subverting my financial self-control. Not too long ago my vibrant Trinitron 21" CRT bit the bullet (figuratively) and I've had to revert to a loathsome little Compaq branded 15" . These Dell's pop up in conversation online and my mouth waters. Like Pavlov's damn dogs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Dell 2408WFP, 6ms G2G, 24"WS Samsung S-PVA

Ahh nice. From what I recall, this monitor has a cleaner picture overall than the Gateway, but that might be in part to the higher color gamut.

Not too long ago my vibrant Trinitron 21" CRT bit the bullet (figuratively) and I've had to revert to a loathsome little Compaq branded 15".

I don't think money should be an issue here. You OWE yourself a new monitor!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Aye... if you game at all or regularly use the PC the monitor should get most of the budget IMO. A good monitor will save your eyes, save on the headaches, and last 3 years or more before you have a need to even consider an upgrade again.

I use the old 2407WFP (Non HC version) and overall I am still happy as a clam with the thing. One of the best monitors I've seen, and it only has ~72% of the color gamut iirc. Ironically enough, more 2405 users than not seem to feel the same when they were asked about upgrading to the 2407 dispite the display improvements.

Since the 2408 has even Displayport on it, it should be a keeper for 5 years at minimum! Considering the brightness levels on mine, I certainly can believe those contrast ratio claims... Enjoy that monitor Mr. Williams ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Aye... if you game at all or regularly use the PC the monitor should get most of the budget IMO.

I think that goes for most things, so I couldn't agree more. In my case, this is a monitor I look at far more often than I'd like to admit. I just hope the brightness doesn't burn my retinas. The ASUS PW201 I'm using now is quite bright also though, so I don't think it will be a problem.

I have never used a "high gamut" monitor for a long period of time before, except for the Dell 2707WFP-HC, but that one wasn't too bright, so it was hard to see the benefits. The 2408WFP combines bright picture with high color gamut, so it might take a little getting used to.

I have plans to write up a review, so I'll do that a few weeks after I receive it, which should be next Mon or Tues.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Very nice! I will add for all those having "monitor envy" that that Samsung 245BW is a kickass budget 24" LCD. I have had some of the better 24" models and for half the cost this one is quite nice. It's no 2408 by a long shot, but the price is right.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I'll stick with my $300 Soyo 24" from Office Max for the time being (its all I can afford anyways), it's got no extras at all, but I don't need any, it's just a computer monitor and that it................;) Same type of panel that comes on most other 24" displays.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That Samsung looks like a sweet monitor - I love the styling. The specs are right up there also.

Soyo... for some reason I am wary of lower-priced monitors. I've read so many stories of people who've taken their chances on lower-priced products and then have run into problems. Does Soyo have a good track record?

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The Soyo's are about the middle of the road from what I've been reading, most people are happy with them for what you pay for them I guess. But then there's the few that will complain about everything even if it was given to them. Over at the [H] there are some that have had issues, but you'll find that with any product I guess. I decided to pick one up partly because of the price and partly because I know a few people that bought them when they first came out and they have been working perfectly from day one.

It's not a Samsung that's for sure, my last 20" WS was a Samsung with a TN panel and it had a much higher build quality to it than the Soyo. But when it comes to picture quality, viewing angles and such, the Soyo blows it way.

One day I'd like to get/use a higher end display to see if I can really tell the difference between the 2, but for now, this one has been good to me, at least so far anyways, and for $300 I really can't complain.

All in all I guess you can say that the Soyo's do what they were designed for............;).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sounds good man, glad to hear it has great image quality. Considering it's a 24" offering for a great price, seeing good image quality isn't something that I would expect. Nice to know that Soyo's are pretty reliable as well. I'll have to recommend them to anyone I know who are looking for a monitor upgrade.

Tuesday can't come fast enough. I want some 1920x1200 action :-/

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
For a inexpensive upgrade, I recommend it all the time, but they also only have a 1 year warranty, which is sort of a deal liller for alot of folks in this day of extended warranties.

But if someone have the extra cash, Samsung is one of my fav pics followed by Dell and Gateway.

Westingtonhouse also has a pretty nice 24" display, it has a panel MVA and it has all the input options on it. Here in the US you can find it on sale for around $350 or so.

Westinghouse L2410NM, 8ms G2G, 24"WS MVA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Is Westinghouse actually available in Canada, or did you pick that up in the States? I've heard good things about their products for a while.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The display arrived today... I didn't expect it so quick. I ordered it on Tues, so talk about fast!

I'll post some initial thoughts tonight. Need to get some work done before I hook it up ;-)

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Man, that was quick.........;)

Enjoy the new display and I hope its everything that you thought/need it would be ............:)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I love my 2407 and reading about the changes between mine and your 2408, it should treat you very well. Congrats.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I love my 2407 and reading about the changes between mine and your 2408, it should treat you very well. Congrats.

For some reason, I've seen a lot of people "upgrade" from the 2407 to the 2408, but I am not sure what it accomplishes. This is a great monitor, but the prime difference seems to be the brightness overall. The contrast ratio is superb as well, but I haven't done enough tests to see the true benefit. I almost wish I had a 2407 on-hand so I could do a head-to-head comparison.

I've been using the monitor for a few hours and am pleased so far. There was a bit of a learning-curve, though. I'm not sure whether it was simply due to the fact that it is a larger monitor or that the image itself is so different, but it's been a few hours now and I am just becoming used to it.

The display is BRIGHT. It defaults at 50% and even this is bright. So bright, that I might very well turn it down after a while if I find it to be too much. On the other-hand though, it might just seem extra-bright due to the fact that I'm a bit tired.

The color was another thing that was quite different, but I am getting used to it also. On the old monitor, the background color in my HTML editor seemed off-white to a small degree. I liked it though because it wasn't so bright and ridiculous. On this 2408WFP... that background was far more off-white, so the extra color gamut is really strutting its stuff.

I haven't done much testing at all, but plan to sometime next week, and should have a full review in the coming weeks. I am pleased overall so far though. The image quality is great... even POST looked better on this monitor than any other I've ever touched. Weird, but true.