It's Time for Pi

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Yes, that time again, once a year - at least for you US/CA folks. It's Pi Day (3.14). I would have had my face stuffed into a Raspberry Pi by now, but hey, they're still not out yet. So I'm doing the next best thing... Pizza Pie! (with beer...)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Pizza pie, the next best thing. :)

Are they still having supply issues with those? I'm amazed the demand knocked out two websites, especially given the cost of shipping is a very large chunk of the final price!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I think the combined pre-order interest is in the 500k area. One website said it had over 200k registered interest, and increasing by 10 per minute, that was 2 days ago. Total supply is still limited atm due to a board hiccup with regard to an incorrect ethernet port type (design indicated magnetics, but was supplied without). So they're having to resolder the first 10k units. Mass production is already underway from the 2 manufacturers, plus whatever the foundation gets from china.

Orders are going out on a first come first serve basis, done in batches by those who registered first. Mine is due in the next couple months I think. Yes, I'll let people know all about it - even have a couple SD cards ready, one with the Fedora remix, plus one for.... well, it's either Arch or Debian. Just beware my Linux knowledge is somewhat basic, so I'm a perfect candidate for the child friendly nature of these things.

With regards to price, the boards are the same $25 and $35 originally specified, the problem was nobody took tax and shipping into account; I guess they could have made it clearer, but no real fowl for me. £25 for me became £35~ after shipping and tax, and our tax is @20%...

Last edited: