It's probably wrong... but... I think I have an addiction. My name is Scott.

TheFocusElf

Obliviot
I read your reviews on the intel ST mobos a bit ago... but seeing them on Newegg... I don't think my computer will ever be built. Can someone tell the people to stop making such awesome technology?

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Honestly, sometimes I feel I belong to the other camp -- the side that manages to avoid upgradeitis just a little bit too long. In the main PC I use for typical tasks and light gaming, I'm still using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+, though I did splurge some time ago to purchase a Radeon HD3870 for it. I tend to feel I've got a nicely-integrated system, and I'm reluctant to change something that's working well.

Part of the complication is that I've got thermistors on several critical heat-producing components, wired to a microprocessor-based fan controller, and swapping out any component from my main rig involves re-calibrating the thermal management system. Even still, I know I'm headed for a major hardware upgrade next spring, since it'll mark my main machine's two-year point.

(The system I use for hardware benchmarking, however, is thoroughly up-to-date. Check out the methodology page on my latest motherboard reviews.)

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Any decent dual core PC and a good current video card is more than most of us need. Switching to a 24" or larger LCD requires pretty much a good video card and 22" and under requires a good mid-range card. I upgrade for no logical reason and regret it almost every time.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It goes without saying... you don't need a huge GPU if you are running less than 1920x1200 nowdays. Even a Radeon HD 4850 or GeForce 9800 GT is going to offer kick-ass performance to power 1680x1050 or lower. Heck, for the most part, a lowly 9600 GT could handle most games at 2560x1600 with reasonable settings, so there is little need to go high-end if the resolution doesn't match up.

I agree on the CPU part... there is no need for a multi-core CPU as no games exploit the potential there. That's right now... I know things will change, and I'm looking forward to it, but it's sure taking a while. I wrote about "Future Gaming on Quad" in Febuary 2007, and we STILL don't have the need for a Quad-Core in gaming... and it's well over 18 months later! I give it another half-year though... some games are going to come out that will show benefit on a nice processor. I hope I don't have to eat my words.