ISODisk Allows Simple Mounting of Your ISO Disk Images

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
One question I hear quite often is, "How do I mount a disk image?", and for the most part, I don't have a great answer. Well, until now, that is. The need to mount ISO images can vary from person to person, but for me personally, I like to backup my DVDs of music concerts by converting them to ISO format and then watch later on the PC (surprisingly, VLC does a decent job of reading the ISO directly).

So you have an ISO image and need to mount it... what to do? Well thanks to Lifehacker's investigative sleuthing, we found an application called ISODisk, and really, the name is all you need to know. Not only does the application allow you to create ISO images of CDs/DVDs, but it allows you to mount up to twenty at a time.

The reason there is a limit at all is likely due to how Windows handles assigning drive letters. With twenty-six letters in the alphabet, there has to be a limit somewhere! The tool doesn't allow mounting of disk images in formats other than ISO, but if ISO is all you deal with, then this free tool deserves to be "mounted" in your toolbox.

isodisk_iso_mounting_111708.gif

ISODisk is a FREE and powerful ISO disk image file tool, allows you to create virtual CD/DVD driver up to 20 drivers, mount an .ISO disk image and access the files on it as if it were burned to CD or DVD. This free program can quickly create ISO image file from CD/DVD-ROM, with ISODisk, you don't need install any other virtual drive software. Once you map the archive to a virtual drive, you can be able to view the contents in Windows Explorer.

Source: ISODisk, Via: Lifehacker

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Hey, I see it works in Vista, I wonder if in 64 bit also?
Just for fun, I'll check it out

thx

Merlin

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
lol... Bandwidth Limit Exceeded.

Thank you for the info, I'll be sure to grab a copy of this whenever they get a mirror up. I know WinRAR is great for opening, viewing, or extracting ISO files to disk, but it doesn't mount them.