Is "Unlimited" Internet Ever Truly Unlimited?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Even though consumers by this point in time should know better, there exists a relentless myth that when an Internet service provider tells you that its service is "Unlimited", it's true. But of course it's not true. You might begin to believe it given the fact you never seem to get calls from the company or get charged extra, but if that's the case, you can be rest assured that it's because you've never hit the real (but hidden) limit.

comcast_agreement_030310.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
That was the story back in the dial-up day, Unlimited Access and Free Access back then, instead of usage. You could Access the dial-up network for free and anytime you wanted, you still had to pay by the minute. Now it's Unlimited usage - subject to the terms of 'our fair usage policy', to which can be as little as 5-10GB a month. Yup, your middle of nowhere 256kb super fast broadband connection could bring the entire network down due to excessive usage... In the UK, some ISP's have the guts to charge users £3 for every GB over their generous 10GB monthly limit, i expect that on a mobile connection, but this is on landlines, all hidden away in the small print. At least my ISP sends me emails when i'm within 10GB of my 60GB roaming download limit.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Inside Canada we will never see truly unlimited internet. They can't stand giving us a bargain here. As the infrastructure decays and the lack of business investment in upgrades and future tech (In North America atleast) we will never see it and it will only get worse.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
I think TekSavvy in Canada offers unlimited for $40 a month (I think $30 for 200GB monthly cap). I have no experience with them but it looks like the ones who are with them are happy with it. I checked with their online tool and looks like they don't offer it in my area though :(

Glider

Coastermaker
Being involved (work wise) in provider networks and mainly PE routing, I can say there is no such thing as unlimited...

You'd be amazed how much providers have to pay to transfer 1GB over 1mbps towards the core network... And how restricted parts of the core network are (mainly links between continents are very limited...)