Is there such a thing as a GOOD budget racing wheel/pedal/shifter

killem2

Coastermaker
I love my racing games, currently I only use a dual stick controller. I want to make the jump but I don't have a lot of money to spend. (50.00-75.00 MAX)

Any suggestions?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To be honest, I'm not sure if I'd recommend going under $100 for a wheel, because the quality just isn't going to be there. I had a wheel for my Xbox 360 that I believe I paid $100 even for, and the quality was poor, especially compared to Logitech's wheels, which begin out at like $130.

As for anything under $100 though, Newegg sells a couple:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...er=BESTMATCH&Description=racing+wheel&x=0&y=0

I'm really not sure of the quality though, but even they're not that good, you won't be out a lot of money.

eunoia

Partition Master
I've noticed there's not a lot in that price range and the cheaper ones are not to be recommended when you imagine the abuse this will take. I wish I had better advice but I haven't needed to keep up much, I'm still using a Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP (USB but no force feedback.) I've had it a long time, but it's always been supported and is built like a tank. A lot of times I was sure I broke it by yanking the wheel off my desk, but it survived (the desk not so well :D)

Mine was probably discontinued by the time I bought it, because I doubt I paid more that $40-$50 for it new, so you can get lucky that way on a deal for a better quality wheel. My experience with shopping the heck out of such products comes from an early experience with a ridiculously expensive Microsoft flight stick that wasn't even supported by Microsoft on their very next version of Windows. Call it a lifetime bias towards Logitech.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I sure wish I didn't miss this one the first time around.

THere are no good units sub $100 right now. Your only real hope is to look on KIJIJI or Craigslist or even Ebay for a used Logitech MOMO if you want a good wheel for that budget. All the other units out under $100 are basically garbage and won't live long or work well.

THe best advice I really have is to save up the money to get the G25/G27. Yes I know the price is way way up there, but you get what you pay for. If you want any realism at all, this is about the lowest entry level pricing that offers true realism. I've had most wheels made by Logitech and the MOMO is the only budget that I would ever recommend while the G25/G27 is THE unit I recommend.

Remember this, really good setups START at $500+. This is no a hobby for the meek.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
I'd go for a used MOMO. There isn't much of a selection for commercial, mass produced steering wheels that are good quality