Is the Time Right for Apple to Produce Netbooks?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Over the course of the past few years, there's been a major shift in what people want or need in a computer, especially a mobile one. While 13" or 14" 7 or 8lb offerings used to be okay, with the advent of the netbook, it became clear quick that consumers have wanted them for a while. After all, like is so often reported, most people only want a notebook for Internet and e-mail use. You don't need a Goliath of a notebook to get that done. Then there's the battery-life issue...

The fact is, for most people who read our site, myself included, a netbook isn't going to offer all we're looking for all the time. But for others, or for when particular need arises, having a netbook that's compact, has long battery-life and enough speed to do the Internet/e-mail thing, not to mention the price... it's a win/win overall. Brooke Crothers at CNET had a recent change of heart regarding netbooks, thanks to their improved hardware, and he asks whether or not it's time for Apple to finally take action.

Apple's been rumored to come out with a tablet for quite some time, and while that product-type isn't exactly typical of the company, it's easy to understand why they would consider one. After all, Mac's are known for being the prime machine for graphics artists, so what better platform for a tablet? But a netbook is something entirely different. Apple's well-known for charging a premium for their machines, and netbooks from every-single company out there who produce them have the opposite goal... to sell the most affordable notebook - without sacrificing features too much - as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, though, Apple sells premium products, and it's probably best that they remain as such. If they did release a netbook, it would without question be sold for more than typical netbooks, so what's the point? It's rare for a company that sells premium products to release something "low-end", as it can damage their brand. You don't see BMW releasing an affordable, smaller car. Ugh, bad example. Or Mercedes-Benz! Ugh, another bad example. And you certainly don't see companies like Ferrari put their name on anything that will sell. Ugh, I give up. Maybe Apple should release a netbook.

asus_eee_seashell_091409.jpg

People like cute, light, and cheap--especially in a laptop. This sentiment won't be overcome, as Intel believes, by the emerging ultrathin laptop category, which ranges from about $500 to $1,000 (formerly called CULV or consumer ultra-low-voltage). Certainly not this year. Ultrathins are not different enough in appearance from a standard laptop and not cheap enough.

Source: nanotech: the circuits blog

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Actually Rob, the Mini is not a bad car. The real POS that BMW has manufactured is the 1 series Beemers and the are utterly dreadful.

Anyhow, I agree. This segment will not tolerate something that is twice the price considering the average price is $299 and down.

MacMan

Partition Master
Rob is 100% Correct on this one!

From our front-page news:
Over the course of the past few years, there's been a major shift in what people want or need in a computer, especially a mobile one. While 13" or 14" 7 or 8lb offerings used to be okay, with the advent of the netbook, it became clear quick that consumers have wanted them for a while. After all, like is so often reported, most people only want a notebook for Internet and e-mail use. You don't need a Goliath of a notebook to get that done. Then there's the battery-life issue...

asus_eee_seashell_091409.jpg

People like cute, light, and cheap--especially in a laptop. This sentiment won't be overcome, as Intel believes, by the emerging ultrathin laptop category, which ranges from about $500 to $1,000 (formerly called CULV or consumer ultra-low-voltage). Certainly not this year. Ultrathins are not different enough in appearance from a standard laptop and not cheap enough.

Source: nanotech: the circuits blog

Rob you are 100 % correct on this one! To me, the biggest advantage of a netbook is not only that are extremely portable for viewing the net, etc., while on he road, but the other big thing going for them is that ever you had one lost or stolen while traveling, the low $299 average selling price is a hell of a lot easier to take than losing a one to two thousand dollar laptop!

As a secondary computer, or even a third, netbooks simply cant' be beat! Unfortunately, even if Apple built the best damn netbook you could ever possibly imagine, as you stated, the price would be unimaginably too high! Just as I don't think Apple should start making baby pacifiers, I don't think they should start building netbooks either, as cool as they may be. For one thing, I read somewhere, some time ago, that several financial analysts warned Apple specifically NOT TO! The reason, as you pointed out - it would cheapen the Apple name!

Apple should stick to what they know best, building premium products for those who want and can afford them!

Great post Rob!

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Actually Rob, the Mini is not a bad car. The real POS that BMW has manufactured is the 1 series Beemers and the are utterly dreadful.

Anyhow, I agree. This segment will not tolerate something that is twice the price considering the average price is $299 and down.

The netbook segment wouldn't, that's true. But I suspect there is a new segment that would want an Apple "laptop" cheap, and might be persuaded to go for one just because it would be the most affordable Apple "laptop" out there...

And you have to admit, with OS X getting anywhere from one to several hours of extra battery life than a Windows machine... an Apple Netbook could have some incredible battery life times with a moderately sized battery.