Is the iPad 2 Better than the New iPad?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Where mobile devices are concerned, I am sure there are few people that believe "bigger is better". But there do exist occasions where newer is not always better. According to tech analyst Rob Enderle, Apple's latest iPad is a perfect example of this. On the surface, the third-generation iPad looks to be a huge upgrade from the iPad 2. It has a gorgeous display, much-improved camera, faster processor and 4G LTE support. What's not to love?

apple_ipad_3rd_generation_032812.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
I must say, of all the nags for users of the new iPad, I think the biggest is the battery recharge time having doubled. If this is indeed true (the source for that is Gizmodo and I don't trust it for anything, including reviewing their favorite brand products), this is horrible. 9 hours of charge time? Really? And all for a 10 hour usage. I consider this completely impracticable on a content consumer device. I mean, think about it, most of us go to bed in these schedule demanding modern times and when we get up the iPad hasn't finished charging yet.

This alone makes this device pretty impracticable for heavy-duty users.

What I can't agree with however is with the source website notion that more 44 grams is a problem, or that the data rate consumption can be an issue. The first is simply ridiculous and I refuse to discuss it any further. But for the second, a better screen has been on the list of about every user demands for the next iPad generations. It obviously comes with a cost. Apple, or anyone else for that matter, can't stop improving their screen resolutions because someone's data plan isn't very friendly to high quality movies. Get a better plan, don't watch movies on your iPad, or stick to the older iPad. This has never been a poor man's device.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I am not a fan of watching movies on such small screens. But I think it would be great for a few normal people to report side by side experiences of iPad 2 & iPad 3. Check this out from the logmein.com website.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard on order to try out logmein access to the CAD front ends of the software I use. The software uses combinations of mouse & kybd button for certain scrolling & rotation views of 3D objects. Support at logmein indicated that the iPad does not support a mouse unless you jailbreak the iPad. But if done, then logmein support will not be able to help if needed.

The logmein app does give a mouse icon & pointer which might work ok for what I want. The mouse icon & pointer move together on the screen. A menu along the screen bottom allows for pretty easy mouse button change. The hi res iPad 3 does display the remote screen in great detail & definitely would not have been acceptable on the iPad 2. The real problem will probably be that the size of my fat finger might prevent accurately positioning the mouse pointer to the now finer features.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
marfig said:
I think the biggest is the battery recharge time having doubled. If this is indeed true (the source for that is Gizmodo and I don't trust it for anything, including reviewing their favorite brand products), this is horrible. 9 hours of charge time?

The article I linked actually mentioned this issue, but I ended up forgetting about it while writing the post. If it takes 9 hours to charge that thing, then that's rather mind-blowing. I just think of all the times I've needed to charge something at the last moment and only could do so for an hour or two. That's just out of the question here.

marfig said:
I mean, think about it, most of us go to bed in these schedule demanding modern times and when we get up the iPad hasn't finished charging yet.

Good point. I don't recall seeing "real-time charging" on the spec sheet. Hour of charge for an hour of usage. Sheesh.

marfig said:
Get a better plan, don't watch movies on your iPad, or stick to the older iPad.

I do agree with this for the most part. We're in an unfortunate time where mobile data is being used more than a home connection for a lot of people, and here we have these ridiculous limits. I think where I am, it'd cost me $50 for 5GB of mobile data. My home Internet costs the same, and it's unlimited.

Psi* said:
I am not a fan of watching movies on such small screens. But I think it would be great for a few normal people to report side by side experiences of iPad 2 & iPad 3. Check this out from the logmein.com website.

I think logging into a remote PC is a brilliant use of a tablet. I have friends who use theirs to do just that, and it seems quite reliable. I could see the high-res being nice for that on the iPad 3, but then you'd have to imagine that regular fonts would be super-small, to the point where they are simply not legible.

MacMan

Partition Master
ROB ENDERLE... ARE YOU KIDDING? You do know, don't you, that this guy is one of the biggest Apple bigots of all time! Don't believe me, than just check out this post and see just how sneaky this bogus Apple commenter is. He's famous for running down Apple at every opportunity, and the truth can be damn. He's the one guy that makes even Paul Thurrot look rational! There's a reason for his Apple bashing and that is clearly demonstrated in the above post, which totally exposes this clown for what he is.. I can't believe how any thinking person can simply believe this guy.

marfig

No ROM battery
You do realize we hardly discussed the Rob Enderle article, do you?
And that the biggest criticism he points out are also a part of your precious gizmodo who also isn't happy with the new iPad.

MacMan

Partition Master
You do realize we hardly discussed the Rob Enderle article, do you?
And that the biggest criticism he points out are also a part of your precious gizmodo who also isn't happy with the new iPad.

When you state: "... your precious gizmodo..." you show your bias. You do realize we hardly discussed the Rob Enderle article, do you?

You do realize I'm hardly discussing the whole post, but rather I'm discussing this particular pasage:

"According to tech analyst Rob Enderle, Apple's latest iPad is a perfect example of this. On the surface, the third-generation iPad looks to be a huge upgrade from the iPad 2. It has a gorgeous display, much-improved camera, faster processor and 4G LTE support. What's no

You really love making a mountain out of a mole hill, don't you?

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
You do realize I'm hardly discussing the whole post, but rather I'm discussing this particular pasage [...]

No. You are not. It's plain obvious to see.

Now, do you actually have anything constructive to add or are you going to keep ignoring the article? I'd hope you at least have something to say about the new iPad.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
The article is a waist of time. Running down Apple, isn't that sort of a lame attempt of a tech savvy Rush Limbaugh? Aka, sensationalist journalism and that is being really generous with praise.

ANY stock analyst that is interviewed on ANY finance channel or segment is all about, "you do own Apple stock don't you?" Apple stock is expected to continually increase more predictably than ... well, the sun rising in the East.

MacMan

Partition Master
No. You are not. It's plain obvious to see.

Now, do you actually have anything constructive to add ......

Ok, how about the truth? Is that constructive enough for you? People in here are very quick to point out what they perceive to be bad about Apple, but rarely do I see anyone in here pointing out anything Positive about Apple. I mean, surely you have to agree that Apple, the world's biggest and most successful tech company, must have done something positive in order to get to where it is today, don't yah think?

So, back to being constructive, instead of quoting from known Apple haters such as Rob Enderle, who has very real financial reasons to gain from bashing Apple, here is a link to the truth about the new iPad's so-called heat problems, something you won't see being reported on here, and problems that are not even real but some people would love to report like it was. Oh, and here's another link, from a personal friend of mine since I know no one else in here, but myself, would ever reference such an article, but since Adam is a friend, I will.

marfig

No ROM battery
Ugh!

One of your links is about the least of all discussed problems. The heat on the new iPad. No one is worried about that in here.

The other link is just another "Apple is rich and everyone else is bad" usual diatribe. The typical verbal diarrhea born of the incessant notion of certain illuminated ignorants that stock price is the way to measure who is worthy one's attention. It's got absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed on this thread either.

I don't know anymore why I bother with your usual sophomore, Macman. The day you can discuss any issue Apple-related in a way that doesn't rapidly turn a thread into a low budget commercial with bad actors and impossibly bad writing, I'll probably be an old man. I just wished I didn't have to handle your lack of intelligence.

MacMan

Partition Master
It's one thing to disagree with another persons views, but it's another thing entirely when a person goes on to PERSONALLY ATTACK another human being, like you do with me, all the time, it just goes to show just how IGNORANT AND IMMATURE you really are, and you are, aren't you?

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This battle has escalated to the point that it should just be dropped. I don't know who Rob Enderle is or what he's known for. I still agree with all that was said in the article, as the issues are well-documented elsewhere. I just happened to see them all summed up nice in a single article that was linked to on Facebook.

I am not certain but I believe there was an article written by him long, long ago that I highly disagreed with also. I didn't recall that when I made this post though. He might just be a shit-disturber for all I know. There are certain people I already don't link to for that reason (not going to list them by name).

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Does Apple pay you to comment on this forum, MacMan? I don't mean any offense. I'm just kind of baffled anyone could be that devoted to a company.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Does Apple pay you to comment on this forum, MacMan? I don't mean any offense. I'm just kind of baffled anyone could be that devoted to a company.

Now now, there's some 'advertising' that you just wouldn't pay for even if you could. :D

Now, below this is a rant that Rob is not going to want to read. And I'll probably catch hell for...but I have to say it.

--begin rant--
Why the HELL does any of this make a bad product, or worse than the iPad 2?!

People wanted a true HD display. Check. People wanted it to be able to game. Check. People wanted it to still have 9 or 10 hours of battery life. Check. People wanted 4G. Check.

Bigger display == bigger GPU == more heat and bigger battery. 4g == shorter wavelengths == more hunting for signal == bigger battery. Shit, quite literally every LTE phone has been utterly PANNED for its battery life, to the point where consumer groups are talking about it en masse.

The iPad3 is exactly what it was supposed to be - a huge upgrade to its predecessor technology-wise, with the attempt to keep as much of the form-factor and battery life of the old one. In exactly how many of our notebook reviews do we pan them for putting MORE in, and keeping as many of the original benefits as possible? Oh wait, none, except maybe if we were reviewing Apple.

You want more? You have to give up something SOMEWHERE.

Out of ALL of these complaints, the only legitimate one to me is what Marfig mentioned - the charging time. And what's hilarious is that happened to be "forgotten" in our coverage of how Apple released a bad product by releasing a tremendous tech leap over anything currently on the market all because people don't think that more resolution means more bandwidth and a discrete, beefy GPU means heat. And most people put their ipads in a case anyway.

Yeesh. Give it up and go beat up on someone else. I don't mean to just pan our own "coverage" of this wonderfully banal "insight", I shake my head at the whole lot who posted this drivel. In this case, Macman's not the crazy one, it's an entire industry aimed at needing to find SOMETHING to complain about.

Find me that quality of display in anything even APPROACHING that form factor and even HALF the battery life. Shit, I'll even ignore the cellular data ability. I mean, if Apple's doing it so wrong, that must mean someone else is doing it right, no?

Not possible? Didn't think so.
--/rant--

marfig

No ROM battery
In exactly how many of our notebook reviews do we pan them for putting MORE in, and keeping as many of the original benefits as possible? Oh wait, none, except maybe if we were reviewing Apple.

[...]

In this case, Macman's not the crazy one, it's an entire industry aimed at needing to find SOMETHING to complain about.

Yes, he is. We all are in fact, on both sides of the camp and those choosing to sit in the middle but still going bananas at anyone chosing to extreme their position.

Let's face it, the iPad is a device for which too many people are still trying to find a reason for. We call it a consumer device to explain its whole purpose and do it with a convincing smug on our face, confident that explains it all. As if saying "he's 16 years old" would explain all the s* parents have to go through and that its ok and its his parents that are wrong. Let him ruin the rest of his life by being a prick and get his whole family into a depression because he's 16 years old. "He's 16 years old, for pete's sake! It's what his supposed to be doing". And we still have no idea what actually being 16 years old really means.

(oh and let's not forget the human kind have had 16 year olds for millions of years and that they never behaved like this... and when they did, they'd get their guts ripped off their bellies by their parents)

The reason the iPad is so debated (notice how the iPhone hasn't got 1% of the hot/heat argumentation the iPad "enjoyed") is because there's a huge uncertainty as to device real purpose or use. So anything goes. When there isn't a center mass that defines the rules of usage, anything is ripe for praise or flak.

And it's also because its a perfect device to sit with the white western middle-class and their stupid problems. Nothing cries out stupidity like making your whole life, or what you reveal of your life to others, revolve around a company or its products. Nothing spells out the misery of the human condition like it. The iPad is the current spokesperson of the degradation of our western culture and the worst in human beings it has to offer to an alien life form that comes to visit us.

You want more? You have to give up something SOMEWHERE.

I briefly alluded to this on my first post in this thread. It's just a natural law that everything comes at a cost. Technological evolution is also the process of eliminating this cost after it is presented to us. Something I'm sure Apple and all other companies like it will keep doing; as they always did and as they keep launching new products that improve on old ones, and introduce new features with new associated costs that then need to be resolved.

BUT,

I'm not ready to accept that just because something is the better the market has to offer, it means I should be happy about it and should refrain from criticizing it. That I don't accept. My position on this matter is very simple: I'm a consumer, I bitch.

And that's about it. If I want to have any hope of keeping companies on their toes, I'll always want to be a critic of their products and I never want to be satisfied. Certainly I can be satisfied, but it won't stop me from moaning about the flaws of something that pleases me and serves me well. As little as they may be.

On the matter of the new iPad I totally agree that most of the criticism seems misdirected in grade. But not kind. If it heats, it heats. I don't care if someone wants to find excuses for it, but I also don't care if someone wants to make a big deal out of it. The only thing I care is that it heats. I'll be the judge of how much that will affect my life and whether that should be reason enough for me to shoot myself after having murdered a lot of people on the street.

I just want the information out that the new iPad is hotter than the old one. Like it, or hate it.

Last edited:

marfig

No ROM battery
Yes, he is. We all are in fact, on both sides of the camp and those choosing to sit in the middle but still going bananas at anyone chosing to extreme their position.

And let me make something perfectly clear once and for all (because I don't "throw bones" anymore to Macman. I gave up on doing it). Warning: I'll be acidic.

What really pisses me off about his posts on Apple products threads is that he's a constant, incessant, and terminally annoying interruption of the usual flow these conversations on these forums are taking before he decided to get his greasy hands on the keyboard.

For the most part (not all certainly, but the most part), we discuss Apple products on these pages. And the articles are centered always around the product. But Macman always barges in and immediately re-centers the discussion on the bloody company. All the time! It's unnerving to say the least.

We don't care about Apple! Get that in your thick skull. We aren't financial analysts. We are geeks in here. We don't care if its rich, or poor, has good of bad stock. We care if its products are good, cool, serve our needs or desires, or they are not. Who cares about Apple stock, for pete's sake. Heck, Logitech is a much bigger company than SteeSeries, but a good deal of what the latter gives us is on the list of the majority preferences. It's about the damn product, you ape!

And we start discussing that. What we care about. But soon enough, BAM! Here comes Macman and its completely irrelevant, financial analysis. Not even once he actually discusses Apple products. He doesn't ever construct a formed and comprehensive personal opinion of a product. He doesn't discuss its technological virtues or merits, its features in any detail whatsoever, its format, nothing. Absolutely nothing. But how could he? He doesn't even know them. For all purposes, he's a computer illiterate that having nothing better to do, pretends to discuss a product by showing a financial report of the company that makes it. He just doesn't know squat of the products we are discussing. Anything that exists as an actual technological opinion is presented to us by Macman in the form of a link to someone else's article. He's completely incapable of having a mind of his own. What a bloody waste of cerebral matter. I've eaten cow brains with more use.

And for that, almost every single thread on these forums ends up dying a miserable death. Be it because we just give up on the discussion because its meaning has been completely
lost, or because the other ape (me) gets his nervous system riled up and chooses to do a "Fatality!" on it, like this very post.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
People wanted a true HD display. Check. People wanted it to be able to game. Check. People wanted it to still have 9 or 10 hours of battery life. Check. People wanted 4G. Check.

Who asked for a "true HD" display? Who asked for a "true HD" display that packs in 50% more pixels than are available in a 22" monitor? When did it suddenly become imperative to have such a small pixel width? I don't think it ever has. This is just a case of Apple fixing a problem that never existed. 1600x1200 couldn't have sufficed?

Most of the problems mentioned in the article are a direct result its over-zealous resolution. The iPad runs hotter because the GPU needs to work harder, and data plans take a hit because content doesn't get scaled down to the previous SD-resolution (which for the record was fine by most people). I don't think anyone who picked up an iPad 3 expected it to have all the caveats it does.

The iPad could have followed the 1080p regarded standard and likely avoided some of these issues, such as overheating. Even desktop GPUs have to put effort forth to 1080p+ resolutions, and here we have a mobile chip pushing 50% more pixels than that.

I am being honest when I say I'd purchase an iPad 2 quicker than the new one, given the problems it brings. I am not one of those mobile demons that always needs to adhere to the latest standard, and it can be argued that the resolutions on all pre-iPad 3 tablets was just fine (I never used an iPad to a great extent but I've used many other tablets of equal size).

Warning: I'll be acidic.

/me pours some water on marfig. Damn, man!

I think the best course of action is when you can't seem to have a normal conversation with another poster, it's best just to leave it and not add fuel to the fire. Easier said than done, I know.

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
lol marfig, none of this was really meant about your go with macman...I'll just put that out there. ;-) More the anti-Apple vitriol that has gripped the media as of late.

I'll respond to the on-topic points of your post later, though! :-D

marfig

No ROM battery
Who asked for a "true HD" display? Who asked for a "true HD" display that packs in 50% more pixels than are available in a 22" monitor? When did it suddenly become imperative to have such a small pixel width? I don't think it ever has. This is just a case of Apple fixing a problem that never existed. 1600x1200 couldn't have sufficed?

I'd wholeheartedly agree that it went too far. The resolution and pixel size of the new iPad is just disproportionate for a device such as this. But I do remember reviews of the iPad 2 mentioning that the resolution should increase and people requesting it here and there. There was an actual desire for this to happen.

Of course I think the sole motivation behind it was that of "moar!". And nothing else. There's no technical reason why a tablet should have these many pixels on such a small display, outside perhaps of a very elite group of professionals. And since this is a so-called consumer device, not even them. It's like buying the Space Shuttle to watch international shows.

If the Apple conduct for the iPad is to produce top of the line products, then it all makes sense. I do marvel still at what was crammed inside such a thin plastic object. And the actual nags of the new iPad do seem minor to me, with the exception of the aforementioned battery recharge time.

What I feel however is that this hyper-technological device is becoming distanced from the real needs of consumers. All its top-of-the-line features, while commendable from a technological point of view, are entirely useless to anyone, and much less feature-full devices will end up giving customers what they need, as they need it, and for a lower price. It' becoming the Ferrari of tablet devices. But few people drive a Ferrari and are perfectly happy with other cars that get them from A to B in good time and in a comfortable and safe manner.