Is the Archos 5 the Killer Media Tablet?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Our news section is home to numerous topics, but when it comes to media players, it's usually either an Apple or Microsoft product we're talking about. But, those two companies are far from being the two only players in the market. Another is Archos, and they're certainly not an unknown brand. In fact, if you talk to someone who doesn't vehemently recommend one of the two above, you can expect "Archos" to come up.

Archos has established a name for itself for releasing quality products with nice displays and tons of functionality. While some other media players offer support for common media formats, Archos tends to support formats you might not have even heard of - which is a huge plus. Of course, they do more than just play media. The new Archos 5, which Computerworld writer Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols takes a look at, boasts many - from Internet, e-mail, GPS, games and more.

The primary benefits that the Archos carries over competing devices comes down to both the size and resolution of the display (4.8-inch, 800x400) and also the fact that it can hold a lot of media. Compared to other players which top out at 32GB or 64GB, because the Archos can use a mechanical hard drive, the current options go up to 500GB.

In addition to the ability to play pretty much any video or audio format, it has the horsepower to playback 720p content right on the device (at a down-scaled resolution, of course). And thanks to its WiFi capabilities, you can still browse the web, check your e-mail, and take advantage of online services like Hulu and Pandora (neither of which are available in Canada!). Not to mention that because it runs Android, downloadable apps are also on the way.

archos_5_linux_tablet_091609.jpg

If you want to buy one, they'll be available tomorrow, September 16th, from Amazon and the Archos Web site. There is one major caveat: this second-generation Archos 5 has the same name as its predecessor and, just to look at it, you could mistake it for its immediate ancestor. If you want to buy one, make darn sure you're getting the new model. Prices range from $249.99 for the 8GB device to $439.99 for the 500GB top-end model.

Source: Computerworld

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Looks beautiful, sleek, powerful! I have some concerns about the touch screen (resistive touch vs the Iphone's capacitive touch) but I can see myself buying this.

In contrast, the Archos 9 Tablet PC seems like a big misstep. Replacing the keyboard with a touch screen only further enhances the inadequacies of a resistive touch screen.

Simon3421

Obliviot
Yep, definitely trying to resist getting it this holiday season. Could drop a few hints to the SO. :)

Go for it! The Santa Orb is always watching! Myself I will sit on his knee. It's my only hope. I could ask my signficant other but would just be laughed at.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Go for it! The Santa Orb is always watching! Myself I will sit on his knee. It's my only hope. I could ask my signficant other but would just be laughed at.

LOL!

Well a couple of years ago I spent $600 on Wii, Wii accessories and games so I think it's time for a little payback.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
gibbersome said:
In contrast, the Archos 9 Tablet PC seems like a big misstep.

I'd love to give Archos' other products a spin, but I tried the 9 Tablet PC at IDF, and I wasn't too impressed. It's supposed to have something like a $499 price tag, but the thing is... it just wasn't fast, at all. There was a demo video on the unit's desktop that I used, and it skipped the entire way through. Not exactly how you should show off an upcoming product...

Hopefully I'm wrong and the release model is better. Apparently it will feature slightly faster hardware at launch. It does seem weird that they'd use older hardware at a tech conference, though.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Hopefully I'm wrong and the release model is better. Apparently it will feature slightly faster hardware at launch. It does seem weird that they'd use older hardware at a tech conference, though.

They should have. Why display a poor version of your product (if it is indeed a poor version). In the tech world, bad publicity is...well, bad.

They would have been better served by not showing anything at all at IDF.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
They should have. Why display a poor version of your product (if it is indeed a poor version). In the tech world, bad publicity is...well, bad.

They would have been better served by not showing anything at all at IDF.

Well, I won't rule out that there wasn't something something wrong with the unit I was using, but I'm not sure. I waited around for a few minutes to talk to the rep, but someone else wouldn't stop talking, so I just decided to get on with my day. In truth, maybe a fresh reboot on that unit would have helped things, but it really did seem slow regardless.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Well, I won't rule out that there wasn't something something wrong with the unit I was using, but I'm not sure. I waited around for a few minutes to talk to the rep, but someone else wouldn't stop talking, so I just decided to get on with my day. In truth, maybe a fresh reboot on that unit would have helped things, but it really did seem slow regardless.

Any chance they'll be sending you an Archos 9 to review? :)