Is G4 Tech TV retarded in the US as well?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I used to subscribe to G4 Tech TV, until I couldn't stand how bad it got, but I recently got it back due to a package upgrade and I decided to check it out again. The thing that struck me wasn't so much the programming, because it's alright, but what blows me away is how ridiculous their commercial breaks can be.

I am not sure if it's like this in the US, but in Canada, the commercial breaks sometimes features mini-reviews... ~30s blurbs about some game... could be anything. That'd be fine and good if the damn things were current, but they are so out of date, it's embarrassing.

The other day while benchmarking, I had the TV turned there, and EVERY single game featured during these blurbs was for either the PS2 or the original Xbox... I mean, what? Is anybody actually manning this station anymore? There is no single reason these "reviews" should still be airing, and it just looks bad on the station itself. I can't imagine too many people giving a damn about "NCAA Football 2006" for the Xbox today.

Whew, that channel has definitely gone downhill in the past while. The old G4 (and likewise, the old TechTV) were so much better.

BlackAndy

Obliviot
Yeah, I used to love the old Tech TV, but then they changed formats and I really lost interest, it seemed like they where trying to be more like Spike Tv... I still catch a tech related show once in a while, but mostly what I watch G4 for is Cops reruns.:p

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
You gotta read the wiki to appreciate how many times TechTV was bought, merged, and changed outright. I lost interest in it when they added G4 to the name and started focusing on games. From reading it it sounds like they only have a couple people left running it.

Every since Leo left during one of the buyouts G4 TechTV lost its visibility US-side... for example we don't get that channel anymore on Time Warner cable here. Comcast used to be an owner, which is why Comcast cable subscribers still even get the channel.

zacharyt1122

Obliviot
The best days were back when it was ZDTV. I loved the Screensavers (with Leo Laporte and Kate Botello, later replaced with Pat Norton) and Call for Help. Gamespot TV was awesome with Adam Sessler and Kate Botello (later replaced with the smokin' Morgan Webb). Even when it became Tech TV, not too much changed. The shows got a little better, imo. However, now that "G4" took over, I lost all interest. Something changed, as if it got less "geeky" and more edgy and steamlined. Sometimes, however, you must accept the changes. You can't always go back. :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's become a tired tradition to bring up the Tech TV past, but it's true. I never had ZDTV, but I started getting Tech TV in 2003... I think it was, and that's when I became introduced to The Screen Savers, Call for Help and the like, which was cool just to have on while working on something else.

The only shows I can see on there now that are of any interest (to me) is X-Play, which has remained intact over the years it seems, then Electric Playground (though it's changed a lot in the past dozen years) and Reviews on the Run. Those three are gaming-related though... I don't think there's a single tech show of interest on the channel anymore, but I might be wrong. I do know that Attack of the Show is nothing more than a joke... not even sure what they are trying to accomplish there. Definitely not for the"tech" crowd, anyway.

Drew

E.M.I.
I do know that Attack of the Show is nothing more than a joke... not even sure what they are trying to accomplish there. Definitely not for the"tech" crowd, anyway.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. While I was a subscriber to G4 I couldn't stomach this show. The only entire episodes I did watch was the CES coverage. But mind you watching those 2 hosts (I forget their names now, the guy and girl who are dating) in between CES segments, always hitting on each other made me want to wretch, sorry for the imagery but that's how I feel. Keep your romance out of the workplace or better yet just cancel the show and let them play with a home camera, the net can always use another *cough* tape scandal.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree about the romance bit... I've seen the same thing on the same channels in other hosted shows. No one cares about their relationships (if you do, check yourself) so to have it shoved down our throats is just a recipe for me looking to see what else is on TV.