Is Firefox Becoming More Crash-Prone with Each Release?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Whenever a new version of your favorite software gets released, there's usually good reason to get a little excited. After all, minor version upgrades usually mean important bug fixes, and major upgrades are a combination of that and feature updates. Firefox 3.5 was no exception to the rule, and along with a slew of bug fixes, many notable features were also introduced, which made the upgrade decision a no-brainer.

For me personally, though, each new major version update gives me hope that what I'll download will be a much more stable browser. I've been using Firefox since it went by the Firebird moniker, and the reason I came to love it so much is that in the beginning, the browser was rock-solid. Fast, simple, and stable. Since then, though, and especially since 2.x, I have found Firefox to become buggier than ever, and far more crash-prone.
Since I run Linux as a primary OS, I usually blame other factors when Firefox crashes.
Prior to Adobe's releasing of an official 64-bit Flash plugin for Linux, most crashes usually could be attributed to that, but I don't think that plugin today is as guilty in the same high percentage of crashes as it used to be. I mainly come to this conclusion, only because, as of Firefox 3.5, I have found the crashes to become more frequent. And with each crash, my love for the browser diminishes just a wee bit further.

I took some comfort in seeing I wasn't alone, though, as Erick Schonfeld at TechCrunch is apparently suffering the same issue, and judging by the screenshot, he's running Mac OS X. Many will be quick to blame the extensions being used, and that's understandable. But realize that the extensions scheme of things is what made Firefox so popular in the first place. It's a major feature. Of the three extensions I currently run, none are noted to cause issues (Compete, Forecast Fox, Web Developer), so I still tend to blame the browser itself more than anything.

If you're a Firefox 3.5 user, how has your experience been so far? Have you seen as many screens like the one below as I have?

firefox_crashing_techcrunch_081109.png

Without basic stability, none of the other great features or add-ons really matter much. Mozilla needs to fix this issue fast because Firefox 3.5 is already gaining a lot of traction. Net Applications has it at a 4.5 percent market share at the end of July, while StatCounter has it at 9.4 percent as of today. People are using this as their main browser, despite the beta label, and there are plenty of other powerful choices out there from Safari to Chrome to, yes, even IE8.

Source: TechCrunch

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Do either of you run extensions with your Firefox? If so, which ones? I'm just curious if this is more of an alternative OS issue than one with Firefox itself. I don't use Windows, so I'm not entirely sure of the stability there, but in the TechCrunch article, he was running Mac OS X, and had the same issue.

I'm just curious if anyone running the latest version on Windows is experiencing this issue.

MacMan

Partition Master
FireFox crashing?

Do either of you run extensions with your Firefox? If so, which ones? I'm just curious if this is more of an alternative OS issue than one with Firefox itself. I don't use Windows, so I'm not entirely sure of the stability there, but in the TechCrunch article, he was running Mac OS X, and had the same issue.

I'm just curious if anyone running the latest version on Windows is experiencing this issue.

I'm not sure about Windows, but I have had trouble with FireFox crashing on OS X . I'm not sure what extension, but I recently installed Coolris, a fantastic add-on based on Snow Leopard's new 3D Transform open-source kit ( http://www.cooliris.com/product/ ) . It doesn't crash that often, and I'm not sure if it''s Coolris, but on a few times it also crashed Safari 4.0. Since Coolris only runs on Firefox and Safari, maybe that's the one?

As far as Windows goes, I rarely run it, but I guess maybe I should try and see what happens?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did Firefox crash on you regularly before you installed Cooliris? If not, then it could be the plugin to blame, but it's hard to say. It's interesting though, because so far, I haven't talked to anyone using Windows who's complained about these random crashes... so far it's either been Mac OS X or Linux users, so I'm really not sure at this point whether or not we can blame an extension at all.

I admit also... I just noticed that a new version of Flash is out (I'm using 10.0.22.87... latest is 10.0.32.18), so I'm going to install it and see if things improve at all, because I really haven't ruled out that plugin yet. It was the cause of my problems in the past.

As for Cooliris, it looks quite neat. They have a Linux version, which I just installed, so I'll give it a spin soon.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Try browsing facebook. All of you.

For one reason or another firefox hates facebook. It crashes, loads slow, and refuses to load some things at all.

Facebook runs smooth and fast in IE 8. I feel dirty for saying that, and using it.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

I'm pretty much running it "as is" on Windows.

I'm wondering if it is a cross-platform issue. It would be interesting it to know which is the native platform...

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
@ Rob, I'm using Speed Dial, Gmail/yahoo notifiers, and AB+.
@ Mad, no problems on facebook...I spent three hours on chat one night and no problems.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madstork91 said:
Try browsing facebook. All of you.

Sure, but all of the stupid Mafia Wars invites and billion quizes people fill out is even more frustrating :)

2Tired2Tango said:
It would be interesting it to know which is the native platform...

Well, there isn't a native platform per se, but I'd assume Windows would be what it's developed on.

On_Wisconsin said:
@ Mad, no problems on facebook...I spent three hours on chat one night and no problems.

No surprise, given how you respond to people in threads ;)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
One of the very reasons I started using Opera was because I couldn't stand IE6 let alone IE7, and my attempts at using Firefox usually resulted in crashes from the plugins. At one point I quit using Opera after it began having memory issues and tried to go back to Firefox, I don't remember the version number by then but it may of been just at the 2.0 or 2.01 mark.

At the time Firefox required quite a few plugins to mirror Opera's functionality and the result was just a mess and more instability. Soon as I got all the bad plugins replaced with working ones some of them would be broken with every incremental version update, so I went back to Opera.

I still run Firefox for a few websites where flash content or things like post editors fail to work (very rare), but I only have 2-3 personal plugins installed, then about 6 more that were installed by various system programs (Java, MS Office, Foxit Reader, Shockwave, VLC, something called Windows Presentation Foundation, another Java).

The day Firefox allows tabs to be stacked vertically on the side of the display is the day I'll try and switch back to Firefox. I've found plugins to imitate other Opera features (Those that Firefox hasn't already directly copied), but not this.

So far I've not had any crash issues with Firefox and Windows 7, but I have had some crash issues with Opera. The only plugin I use with Opera is a spellchecker, and it will occasionally error about 1 out of 20 uses and crash Opera with it, but it's a plugin that hasn't been updated since before even Vista launched...

XP1

Obliviot
The only plugin I use with Opera is a spellchecker, and it will occasionally error about 1 out of 20 uses and crash Opera with it, but it's a plugin that hasn't been updated since before even Vista launched...
Why not use the built-in spellchecker in Opera 10?

For me, Firefox crashes way more than any other browser. Sometimes, Firefox would crash randomly even if I am not using it (while I'm using another browser since I use all the major browsers simultaneously). That's a huge disadvantage to using Firefox and its extensions.

If I were to rank the browsers I use, including Opera 10, Windows Internet Explorer 8, Firefox 3.5.1 Google Chrome 2, and Safari 4, I would rank Firefox as the lowest preferred browser to use.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Welcome to the forums XP1. :)

Why not use the built-in spellchecker in Opera 10?

Because when my post was written, Opera 10 was still in alpha/beta stage, and Opera 9 does not have a spellchecker included by default. ;)

Once Opera 10 was officially launched I migrated to it, and I do much prefer the built-in spell checking to either of the spell checking plugins I have previously tried. It has also meant that the browser almost never crashes anymore so I'm quite happy with it.

Since I use IE so rarely I can't honestly say if I thought IE or FF was the one that crashes more often... but you're right. I think Firefox really should devise a system to handle troublemaking plugins so they don't take out the entire program when they crash.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Welcome to the forums XP1. :)
Because when my post was written, Opera 10 was still in alpha/beta stage, and Opera 9 does not have a spellchecker included by default. ;)

Once Opera 10 was officially launched I migrated to it, and I do much prefer the built-in spell checking to either of the spell checking plugins I have previously tried. It has also meant that the browser almost never crashes anymore so I'm quite happy with it.

Since I use IE so rarely I can't honestly say if I thought IE or FF was the one that crashes more often... but you're right. I think Firefox really should devise a system to handle troublemaking plugins so they don't take out the entire program when they crash.

Opera started tabbed browsing and still do it best. I prefer the older version of Firefox as I've noticed the crashes becoming more frequent and it's also gotten much slower. But the Add-ons make the browser indispensable for me. Maybe it's all the bookmarks that are slowing it down. I have around 1000+ stored.

I still won't touch IE with a 10 foot pole if I can help it.