Is Blu-ray Going to be "Passed By" as a Format?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
When Sony successfully pushed Toshiba's HD DVD format out of the ring a couple of years ago, things seemed to be good for the future of Blu-ray. For the most part, there has been some good success with it since then, but it's never taken off to the point where the standard DVD format could be considered to be on a path to extinction.

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
nah, what's gonna happen is companies are going to try to do away with DVD altogether, just like they did with VHS, so that we are forced to either buy a blu-ray player, or be stuck with unreliable streaming video.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hope that time is a while off. I don't own a ton of Blu-rays, but I do love them. Once you watch HD movies, it's almost impossible to go back :D

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I seriously doubt BD has had its time... ISP's are not forthcoming with bandwidth (especially here in the UK) so we couldn't stream if we wanted to, we'd either get fined insane amounts or heavily throttled traffic, making the connection useless. No such thing as Unlimited in this country, everyone caps at 100GB.... try and stream HD content and you'll hit that cap in a few days.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I seriously doubt BD has had its time... ISP's are not forthcoming with bandwidth (especially here in the UK) so we couldn't stream if we wanted to, we'd either get fined insane amounts or heavily throttled traffic, making the connection useless. No such thing as Unlimited in this country, everyone caps at 100GB.... try and stream HD content and you'll hit that cap in a few days.

Exactly why I said what I did in my last post. My friend has a 20mbps line and I play full 1080p video on my laptop from youtube. Netflix claims you can stream HD video to your Xbox 360. Guess what? brought my 360 to his house, tried to watch a movie in HD on it, it detected a 20mbps connection from his router.....and outputted into 480p, and I couldn't change the resolution because it was "based off the connection speed." What a ripoff. He's gonna need a 100mbps line to even get close to 1080p, and most ISPs will only offer up to 50mbps for home use.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I am going to say this, and a few of you might fully understand the breadth of it.

We have reached a point were ideological restrictions from dogma in business, and copyright and patents have not only stifled their respective domains, but each other as well.

Now that we are past that, some sort of USB or eSATA device will be the wave of the future. Disc form is not only outdated, unreliable, slow and easily damaged, that I seriously have doubts about a new formats sustainability in the market. And which downloaded content becoming such a mainstream idea, the next prominent hard copy format of choice may be slowly adapted anyways.