iPod Vending Machines Spotted

SqueekyClean

Obliviot
living_joke said:
That is why Microsoft was able to totally 'own' Apple? It was Apple's own greed that cause the company to nearly go out of business. Almost nobody uses Apple computers anymore.

Everything you are arguing is about their computers. Apple is diversified now and makes most of it's money thru other outlets. The Ipod is probably the all time largest selling MP3 player. Apple has made enough money selling Ipods to buy other companies out.

I don't see what the major deal with the Ipod is. Is it a fad or something? I would rather just get an mp3 disc player and use cd-rw than get an iPod and have to use special software to put songs on it.

chillout

Obliviot
Angela Miller said:
I don't see what the major deal with the Ipod is. Is it a fad or something? I would rather just get an mp3 disc player and use cd-rw than get an iPod and have to use special software to put songs on it.

The Ipod is popular because it was the first highly recognized brand name for a mp3 player that doesn't require discs. Whoever is the first to implement an idea is usually the most popular by default. There are a lot of companies around who sell the same type of product, but nobody else will ever become as popular as the Ipod because the Ipod was first.

Uc-ker

Obliviot
SqueekyClean said:
Everything you are arguing is about their computers. Apple is diversified now and makes most of it's money thru other outlets. The Ipod is probably the all time largest selling MP3 player. Apple has made enough money selling Ipods to buy other companies out.

Yes, Apple made a lot selling Ipods, but in my last post here I argued that they could of made billions if they didn't fumble the ball early on.

Imagine if ATI or Nvidia did NOT license their hardware. They would of lost what billions of dollars in profit? Please try to imagine the effect on the profit if ATI or Nvidia were greedy and tryed to have a monopoly. Imagine how much LESS money they would of made. Imagine how fewer advertisements there would of been for their cards. It is because of their licensing that they have hundreds of different companies each making their cards, and paying to advertise for them out of their own pocket. It is because of hundreds of companies advertising and promoting their products that they are so successful. It is THIS which Apple turned down in 1986, and it is THIS that cost them billions of dollars in profit.

I thought there would be a lot of conversation on this topic when I brought it up. I'm not sure if it is because people do not understand what I'm saying or if they do not believe me when I say Apple lost billions of dollars over trying to be a monopoly. Don't think most people can imagine the chain of events. It is like trying to imagine what would of happened to ATI or Nvidia if one or the other did not license their hardware. Imagine that, then you can understand how critical a mistake Apple made.

dibene

Obliviot
Uc-ker said:
Yes, Apple made a lot selling Ipods, but in my last post here I argued that they could of made billions if they didn't fumble the ball early on.
Imagine if ATI or Nvidia did NOT license their hardware. They would of lost what billions of dollars in profit? Please try to imagine the effect on the profit if ATI or Nvidia were greedy and tryed to have a monopoly. Imagine how much LESS money they would of made. Imagine how fewer advertisements there would of been for their cards. It is because of their licensing that they have hundreds of different companies each making their cards, and paying to advertise for them out of their own pocket. It is because of hundreds of companies advertising and promoting their products that they are so successful. It is THIS which Apple turned down in 1986, and it is THIS that cost them billions of dollars in profit.

I thought there would be a lot of conversation on this topic when I brought it up. I'm not sure if it is because people do not understand what I'm saying or if they do not believe me when I say Apple lost billions of dollars over trying to be a monopoly. Don't think most people can imagine the chain of events. It is like trying to imagine what would of happened to ATI or Nvidia if one or the other did not license their hardware. Imagine that, then you can understand how critical a mistake Apple made.

You do realize that you posted that argument on your other board name "living_joke" right?

If you're going to make multiple accounts to increase your chance of winning prizes you may want to pay closer attention :eek:

living_joke

Obliviot
dibene said:
You do realize that you posted that argument on your other board name "living_joke" right?

If you're going to make multiple accounts to increase your chance of winning prizes you may want to pay closer attention :eek:

Uc-Ker is my room mate. We shair the same apartment and sometimes shair computers. I must of typed that message on his computer without realizing that it was not me logged in.

To avoid a misunderstanding, I will remove myself from the contest. I deleted my entry and my room mate deleted his. We'll stick around though on the forum.

Am still anxious to hear what people think of my theory of Apple losing billions of dollars due to refusing to license their hardware back when the Macintosh was born.

Last edited: