iPhone: Fail.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/tech/2010/07/15/am.seg.sutter.iphone.glitch.cnn

<object width="416" height="374" <param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed_edition&videoId=tech/2010/07/15/am.seg.sutter.iphone.glitch.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed_edition&videoId=tech/2010/07/15/am.seg.sutter.iphone.glitch.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

After the "the iphone redefined what a phone could do" I almost wanted to stop listening to the fanboi... There really isn't anything in the iPhone that didn't already exist in something else before hand. And I do mean anything.

Getting beyond that, I think it is obvious apple is in some shit with this. Did Icarus fly too high?

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, this issue is something that they just cannot ignore. They need to address it and will tomorrow (unless the quickly assembled press conference tomorrow is to announce a new iPod).

I haven't had any issues with mine so far (going on a week of use) but if I wasn't handed this one from work, I would have been more than happy with my older 3G. This one looks better and is a little faster but it still makes calls and that's all I really need a phone for.

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

Oh, and Plants versus Zombies, but that's IT.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
They'll just wait 6 months then come out with the 5G and charge $700 for it, that'll fix the problem..... oh wait, they tried that stunt before, even with refunds it was hard for many to swallow..... hmmmm. I know, they'll throw in a free App store download as well..... that'll fix it. :rolleyes:

I guess it was too expensive to laminate the antenna to prevent this sort of thing in the first place.... but of course, that lamination would ruin the sleek aluminium look and feel...

Function over form Mr. Jobs...... Function over Form.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
They'll just wait 6 months then come out with the 5G and charge $700 for it, that'll fix the problem..... oh wait, they tried that stunt before, even with refunds it was hard for many to swallow..... hmmmm. I know, they'll throw in a free App store download as well..... that'll fix it. :rolleyes:

As knee jerk as that sounds, extend your 6 months out to a year and we are getting into the regular product refresh cycle. We all know what today's press conference is going to be about, it's just a matter of how they are going to deal with it.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
They knew about the problem ... just given how long prototypes would been made not to mention that simulation with human body models have existed for years.

They just figured that the "faithful" would have just reasoned, "If Apple made it this way, then this is how is should be. Everyone else is faking it!"

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You really can't argue the data presented. Agree with it or not, Apple did a fantastic job of blanketing themselves against a lot of the criticism they have received. Not only did they present fact after fact countering the complaints, they extended an olive branch in the form of a free bumper case. A case that has proven to remedy the reception issues reported by some.

Going one step further, offering to refund all purchases for 30 days from today is brilliant. It allows those that are not happy with their 4G iPhones to return them and get a 3GS. Those that want to keep their phones can get a free case or a refund for one they have already purchased and anyone that gets a phone after the 30 days or complains of receptions after not taken Apple up on their offer really doesn't have a leg to stand on. Not only did they offer a peace offering, they shielded themselves from any legitimate class action lawsuit that you know is going to happen.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
"Jobs said the iPhone 4's antenna issue isn't widespread. He said just over five out of every thousand users have complained to Apple's warranty service, and less than 2 percent have returned the device."

Hmmmm, the physics says all the phones will be affected ... but of course not everyone has sweaty palms and/or are in less than the best of coverage areas.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
To be honest, it shouldn't have been released with such a design flaw in the first place, free case or not. Jobs is doing what he always does, smooth talking.... using selective statistics to prove his case. Just because someone hasn't complained to customer service, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.... one could argue that only 5 in 1000 will actually complain and be vocal about it.

Oh well... I'm quite anti-apple, so I have a very biased opinion, one which I will keep to myself now, for everyone's benefit, lol. As long as the people affected get come closure through a refund of free case, then it's not as bad (it would be nice if it wasn't needed in the first place, but at least they're making amends).

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I'm not pro or anti Apple. I'm simply admiring them for taking an almost unwinnable situation and making the absolute most out of it. The iPhone is a hell of a device that after using for almost two years, I don't think I could live without. Actually, I could live without it, but not a smart phone of some sort. A portable portal to the web is a must.

Based on my own experience, I haven't had an issue yet with the new iPhone. That's not to say others haven't. I just haven't ran into the same issues as a lot of other folks. Oh, and I'm sure as hell taking them up on the free case. I'd hate to be their web servers next week when the sign up sheet goes live. I pity those in the shipping department as well :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Greg King said:
A portable portal to the web is a must.

Probably not surprisingly, I'm the stark opposite. When I leave the house, I want nothing to do with the Web. During the day, I feel like I'm tied down to it, so any chance to get completely away from it is a plus in my book :D

I agree with you that Apple did the smart thing business-wise. It basically was trapped into a corner, so what else is it going to do? It's clear it wanted to avoid a recall, for obvious reasons, and given that it seems that most iPhone users are willing to put up with some hassle in order to continue using the device, I can't really fault Apple's decision here. I'd have to imagine the company would put this experience to good use and not have another one of these incidents occur again.