Interview with "Head Psyko" James Hildebrandt

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Think that "surround sound" in a gaming headset is laughable? Psyko Audio Labs doesn't think it has to be, and they're here to prove it with their upcoming 5.1 offering. We sat down with "Head Psyko" James Hildebrandt to learn a lot more about his unique product, and to find out what makes it so superior to the many attempts made before it.

You can read Greg's full interview with James here and discuss it here!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
$300!!! These r even more expensive than Razer Barracudas!
i'll just stick with my cheap A4 Tech HD-800 7.1 headsets..

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, like most things, quality costs money. Most "surround sound" headphones out there cost around $100 - $150, and neither deliver sound like these (I haven't tested them, so I'm basing my thoughts on what others have told me). If you truly care about audio quality, then paying extra for it is a non-issue. It's why I own a pair of decent cans over something you can just get at NewEgg... I want the best sound I can possibly get from my PC, within reason, of course.

That said, I do hope that these headphones deserve their $300 price-tag, in that I hope they are built extremely well, and don't just carry a huge premium because they're "different". From what I've seen though, they do seem to be well-designed and well-built, so I'm fairly confident the end results should be impressive.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
They look Alien and give the looks of pure Awesomeness! well like u said, Great Quality comes with great $$$$
so. Lol, What r ur views about A4 Tech?!? hehee!

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Before everybody balks at the $400 pricetag, consider that a pair of excellent stereo headphones typically runs in the $250-$300 range. The Psyko cans (actually, that's not entirely accurate) attempt to cram five high-quality drivers, plus two bass drivers and a lengthy set of waveguides, into a form factor that you'd actually want to wear on your head.

I've been intrigued by these headphones ever since I saw them, but many of my "how'd they do that?" questions degenerate into audio-engineering terminology that might be over the heads of many others here, so I'll just say that I'll be excited for my chance to hear them.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It looks like he changed his mind on the shipping, but still... shipping to PAK is not going to be inexpensive. Still, you might be able to get them cheaper this way. You'd want to make sure before ordering.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
It looks like he changed his mind on the shipping, but still... shipping to PAK is not going to be inexpensive. Still, you might be able to get them cheaper this way. You'd want to make sure before ordering.

it ended! noooo! ah well, Razer barracudas r on bid for $10!!! wohoo! and only 23hrs left!!