Intel's Sandy Bridge Revealed: Core i5-2500K & i7-2600K Reviewed

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but this affects just SATA 2, not SATA 3. So if a board has a load of SATA 3 ports, you could just use those for the HDDs for the interim.

Misha

Obliviot
Yes, there are 4 unaffected ports on my Asus P8P67 Board:

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® 9120 controller
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)
* These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.

But I need eight of them...
I thought about some centralised NAS solution too, to relocate hard drives to secure location in to my basement, but i'm not thriled about transwert speed through Gigabith ethernet... and my SOHO business is just too small for some fibre network and similar stuff...
I must see... i don't have nerves to search for PCI SATA cards, simply because nobody needs those here at my place..
Thanks Rob!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I thought about some centralised NAS solution too, to relocate hard drives to secure location in to my basement, but i'm not thriled about transwert speed through Gigabith ethernet... and my SOHO business is just too small for some fibre network and similar stuff...
I must see... i don't have nerves to search for PCI SATA cards, simply because nobody needs those here at my place..
Thanks Rob!

What sort of performance figures do you see with your current RAID setup? I've seen NAS boxes test up to 100MB/s throughput via Gigabit ethernet using RAID 5. It depends more on the type of RAID and the CPU powering the NAS than anything else for the most part. Oh, and network configuration so everything uses Jumbo frames. 100MB is only about 0.78 of a Gigabit, by the way.

Misha

Obliviot
Hi, to be honest, I'm not completely sure, and performance are not always the same, but i know that I got significant jump of performance when I put two hard drives in RAID setup!

My complicated multi layered projects in Photoshop are loaded almost twice faster than before...

And i know how it looks like when i try to open some PSD files from my assistant's computer, or even same file from her PC, that i have to wait significant amount of time than when I'm loading PSD file from my own RAID setup...

Sorry for late answer and thanks for your advices!

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I have an i7 2600k sitting here in my old case. I OCed it to 4.8Ghz under my megahalems and wow what a difference, at stock speeds with no turbo it was hitting 86C on stock cooling when maxed out. Now at 4.8Ghz @1.4v it only hits 66C on the hottest core and 60C on the coolest. Its awesome, thats all I can say, oh and the IMC blows AMDs away, same ram timings and speeds and the 2600k has 2x the read write and copy an ~10 ns lower latency. I hope BD can do that as well or I may get a second 2600k to replace this 955BE.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I have an i7 2600k sitting here in my old case. I OCed it to 4.8Ghz under my megahalems and wow what a difference, at stock speeds with no turbo it was hitting 86C on stock cooling when maxed out. Now at 4.8Ghz @1.4v it only hits 66C on the hottest core and 60C on the coolest. Its awesome, thats all I can say, oh and the IMC blows AMDs away, same ram timings and speeds and the 2600k has 2x the read write and copy an ~10 ns lower latency. I hope BD can do that as well or I may get a second 2600k to replace this 955BE.

Looks like your new build is working good! The 2500K just became available here with the Asus P8P67 and the P8P67-Pro motherboards! I am really wanting to upgrade but the SATA problems of sandy bridge are confusing me! :confused: