Intel's P45 and G45 Chipets Laced All Over CeBit

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Up to now, and even including now, Intel has been mum on the P35 and G35 successors, but as Anand points out, equipped motherboards are found all over the many CeBit halls.

The G35 will prove interesting for those with mini-PCs or HTPC's, as the chipset includes support for H.264 decode acceleration, something not found in G35. The smaller brother to the G45, G43, will not include this support. Also maimed is the memory support, as the G43 will only allow 1 DIMM per channel, compared to 2 on the G45.

The P35 chipset that Intel launched last spring quickly became the ultimate choice for enthusiasts, whether on a budget or not. It's safe to say that P45 will continue along with it's tradition of offering great performance at a reasonable price. Like the previous generation, however, P45 still offers support for up to 1333FSB, no doubt leaving the 1600FSB spec up to X48. As we found with P35 though, hitting that mark is a simple task on almost all motherboards.

Another interesting feature? These new chipsets are based on a 65nm process, compared to 90nm for the previous generation. Though P35 and the rest ran cool, you can likely expect P45 and its siblings to run even cooler and offer better power efficiency. The launch of these new chipsets should happen sometime next quarter.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
intel_p45_supports_030508.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
The chipsets are P45, G45, G43, and X48. The G45 chipset includes the new Intel GMA X4500 HD graphics core which adds support for H.264 decode acceleration, something that has been absent from all previous Intel integrated graphics solutions. Hardware H.264 decode acceleration is not included in G43 (the G43 only uses the X4500 GPU, without the HD suffix).

Source: AnandTech

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, we already know that the 45nm Quads should be out before the end of the month. I believe we'll see P45 and it's siblings launch a few weeks after 45nm Quads.

CoolZone

Obliviot
I heard that there are a lot of stock shortages already for the quads so they will be available for a short time after launch and then we have to wait for another restock

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It would not surprise me because the dual-core models are suffering the same fate. They were supposed to have plenty of stock, but it didn't happen. When I posted the review of the E8400, there was plenty in stock all over, but not more than a week later, it became near-impossible to find. It all happens so quick.