Intel's HDxPRT Grades Your PC on its Multi-Media Capabilities

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
As I was cleaning up around my desk last night, I unsurfaced a disc I almost forgot about... one that Intel included with all the Lynnfield reviewer's kits that were sent out. The software is called "Intel High Definition Experience & Performance Ratings Test", or HDxPRT for short. The disc immediately reminded me of software we were given a while ago, called "Intel Digital Home Capabilities Assessment Test", and I believe HDxPRT is, for the most part, a follow-up.

So what is it? Similar to tests designed by BAPCO (SYSmark 2007 Preview), HDxPRT's goal is to test your PC for its overall media capabilities, from HD video playback to handling of your content. That's what makes this test better than SYSmark, though, because here, the scenarios are relevant to the majority of people who use their computer (SYSmark focuses more on workstation scenarios).

Within HDxPRT, there are two main categories, Create and Play. The latter will award a 0 - 5 star rating depending on how well the machine handles HD video, and according to the guide included on the disc, most computers today should have no issue running that, which is only a good thing for those looking to build a new HTPC on the cheap (it's more possible now than ever).

Under the Create category are three tests. The first takes an HD camcorder video and converts it to both a format suitable for uploading to a website, like YouTube, and also to a Blu-ray format. The second takes files from a digital camera and edits them accordingly, while the third prepares music and videos for copying to your iPod. I'm sure few would argue that each one of these scenarios is actually relevant to most consumers today.

Since the software requires a clean installation of Windows (7 is also supported), I haven't yet had the chance to give it a spin, but I'm hoping to prior to our Lynnfield launch article. If it proves to deliver useful metrics, we may consider using it in our future CPU and possibly motherboard content. At least, once we know for certain that some of the tests don't favor one company over another.

For those interested in giving the software a go, it's completely free, so you're able to go to the URL below and register on the site to gain access. Just be warned, you'll need to also download a trial of Adobe's Photoshop Elements 7, unless you happen to own it already.

intel_hdxprt_082409.jpg

Mainstream consumers are confronted with many choices and decisions, and not enough straightforward performance tools to guide those decisions. But what would that better guide look like? It would focus its attention on what you care about most, and tell you how well a PC did those things, in plain English. It would tell you about quality of experience, because media playback isn’t really about "faster is better." But more than anything, this guide should help you make an informed decision about the right PC for what you want to do.

Source: Intel HDxPRT