Intel to Delay X48 Launch to Help Clear Out X38 Stock

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
This is just a rumor, but it would come as no surprise if it were true. The rumor is that Intel will be delaying the launch of it's X48 chipset due to the fact that there is so much X38 stock available. Who didn't see this coming? X38 was launched just in November, and X48 was due to launch in January. That is not exactly that much time to clear out a new product run.

Of course, X48 is not actually set to replace X38, except for the enthusiast market. X48 will not be available in "budget" motherboards, but is rather designed solely for the enthusiast, which is backed up by it's native 1600FSB support. In the end, if there is a delay, it will not hurt anyone. Both X38 and X48 are so similar in spec, there is no sense waiting around until X48 arrives if you are planning a purchase.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
no_x48_121707.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
The motherboard maker fears that the X48 chipset will slow down clearance of its X38 chipset inventory and has negotiated with Intel to delay the launch of its X48 chipset. However the delay is expected to hurt makers who do not have an overstock X38 chipsets.

Source: DigiTimes

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Now, what I was thinking is that the X38 was for crossfire and hoping that X48 would be for Nvidia.
So, is there a DDR3 board for Nvidia with a PCIe 2.0 ?
At any rate, the overtime at work has diminished, so it will be a good while till a purchase of any high end componant.

Merlin ( still working on the Crysis case )

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
NVIDIA is not about to jump on the DDR3 train... and it's a good thing. It's still far too expensive. X48 is still an Intel chipset so it will not support SLI. But the ultra-expensive Skulltrail will be based off of X48 and will support it. But again, it will be expensive.

I have an ASUS board here with the 780i chipset... it has PCI-E 2.0 and 45nm support. I admit I have no idea when the board is coming out, but I see a few reviews up and around today, so it might be soon.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I have an ASUS board here with the 780i chipset... it has PCI-E 2.0 and 45nm support. I admit I have no idea when the board is coming out, but I see a few reviews up and around today, so it might be soon.

That sounds good, what board is it??

Merlin