Intel SLi

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So now that SLi is available for Intel, is there anybody considering it, who prefers Intel over AMD?

Still way too pricy for me.. you need money to have a killer computer to match the SLi set-up. Not.. for.. me, hehe.

I know a lot of people prefer Intel over AMD though, so it will be interesting to see how well these sell compared to the AMD chipsets.

Muddy

Obliviot
IMO it wont be as propular becuase AMD is known for gaming and most SLI people use it for games. But hey more features are almost always better!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, that's what I am thinking as well. The only people I think that would benefit from a Intel based SLi system are graphic designers and 3D animators.

Ahh, SLi'd Quatros.

leecho7

Partition Master
Don't want to sound like a noobtard (oops too late), but when you speak about SLI is that basically talking about those new PCI graphics cards I've been hearing about? PCI X16 or somethin?
I also heard with the right mobo, you could get two of those cards doubling your graphic capabilities?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
SLi roughly translates to Holy Crap Expensive.

Actually, the Scalable Link Interface is where you take two of the same PCI-E video cards, say two 6800GT's, and put them into the same motherboard.

So if you have one PCI-E (PCI X16 as you said), you wouldn't have SLi. You need a copy of the video card you have, (You can't have a 6600GT and a 6800GT, for now at least), to use SLi.

Some games will give you WAY better performance using Sli, but most games don't, so you need to use their game configurator program to get it to work with SLi.

Personally, I would like to upgrade to SLi in the future, but it's still way too expensive, really.