Intel Shows Off 'NUC' PC at IDF, Makes SFFs Feel Fat

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Want a PC as small as an Apple TV but with a desktop processor inside? If so, Intel's "NUC" concept is sure to be of interest. Intel's target motherboard size for "Next Unit of Computing" is 4x4" - about the size of a beverage coaster. Despite that small size, it'll come embedded with a Core i3 processor, although as HotHardware surmises, we'll see other variations including Atom and Core i7 in time.

intel_nuc_hothardware_091112.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I really like this product. I will finally be able to get all the rooms in my house setup to connect to my media server and they will have the horse power to run the mkv codec. I love it!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I really like this product. I will finally be able to get all the rooms in my house setup to connect to my media server and they will have the horse power to run the mkv codec. I love it!

I do still question the heat though. We're talking about a desktop processor in a small little box... I just can't wrap my head around it. I am not really sure you'd want to stress it too often, but then what would the point be of owning it if you had to worry about that?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Think you've dealt with too many high-end CPUs. The i3 will have quite a low TDP (35 Watt). Mobility based i3 CPUs could go down to 18 Watt TDP. So no, I don't think heat is an issue here.