Intel Roadmaps Shows Lack of CPU Launches in 1H 2009

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If you enjoy looking at huge diagrams inside of PDF files, then you are in luck. Japanese site PC Watch somehow got a hold of a large collection of PDFs that outline Intel's future plans for a variety of product-lines, from processor, chipset and beyond.

After a quick look through a few of the different documents, I didn't notice anything extremely out of the ordinary, but the diagrams definitely verify a lot of what we were thinking. The first Nehalem launch parts are still clocked at 3.2GHz, 2.93GHz and 2.66GHz, with follow-up parts in... Q3 2009? Yes, you read that right.

In Q3 of next year, Intel will launch a handful of new processors, including mainstream Quad-Cores and Dual-Cores, although none of the roadmaps include exact clock speeds yet, understandably so. Nehalem's 32nm successor, Westmere, is still slated for 2010, which is when we'll begin to see desktop six-core processors. It's clear to me that Intel is no longer toying with the idea of an Octal-Core, at least right now, which I'm sure most people will be fine with.

For a real time-killer, definitely head over to that link and download all of the documents. It is sure to keep you busy for quite a while.

intel_roadmap_090808.jpg

Price line and say, the first to introduce quad-core version of the "Bloomfield (Bloomfield)" is the top brand Extreme system SKU (Stock Keeping Unit = products) 3.2 GHz (8MB/QPI 6.4Gtps/DDR3-1066 ), The traditional top-level price of 999 dollars. Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (3GHz/12MB/FSB1333) the same level, a special high-cost QX9770/9775 (3.2GHz/12MB/FSB1600) from the 1399/1499 dollars is cheap.

Source: PC Watch

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I find a few things interesting here. Perhaps I was the only one, but I didn't realize there would be such a blatant lack of processor launches in the first-half of next year. One diagram there shows nothing at all... which is actually rather interesting. If Nehalem will launch three new parts this year, those will have to do us until next summer at a minimum.

For some reason, I'm also curious about Skulltrail... the current solution will still be hella fast, but it will be using outdated processors, once Nehalem is launched. Nowhere in their roadmap could I see a plan that laid-out either a DP Quad-Core setup or an Octal-Core processor. Oddly enough, I remember a slide at the 2007 IDF that showed an Octal-Core processor... Intel has really backed up off that idea, it seems.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Interesting? I'll say that translation itself was interesting... Lynnfield as "phosphorus field". :D

I have seen roadmaps indicating that Intel would be refreshing Nehalem with higher clocked models in Q1 or Q2 at the same price points, which has always been their modus operandi up until now. Even though AMD is no longer remotely competitive in the Bloomfield targeted market, I don't see them changing this.

I'm going to stick to the previous info I've seen reported already that indicate there will be some spring model refreshes for Bloomfield. I'm sure not even Intel has specifics decided yet as it'll depend on yields as Nehalem begins to mature.

Oddly enough, I remember a slide at the 2007 IDF that showed an Octal-Core processor... Intel has really backed up off that idea, it seems.

I wouldn't be so sure. Westmere is a 32nm Nehalem set to launch next year... Intel has stated they will introduce octi-core models with Westmere.

Edit: Actually I simply forgot. Beckton-EX is the 45nm Octi-core CPU. It uses the LGA1567 socket and is the only chip that will use FB-DIMMs. It is set to launch Q2'09, and is Intel's replacement for Dunnington for the MP server market.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the information as always Kougar. I'm glad to know that the Octal-Core processors are still in their roadmap, but I'd like to know exactly when they are set to launch (not that it's too important). As for Westmere, as far as I know, the tentative date for that is still Q1/Q2 2010... not next year.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
As I said, the only date I've seen for Beckton is Q2'09, but I don't know how concrete that is to be honest.

Beckton will be interesting in terms of gauging effects on the market, and in server benchmarks, but no one will be buying one outside of the server market.

Conroe was fall 2006, Penryn late 2007, Nehalem late 2008, so following Intel's yearly plan Westmere should debut by the end of 2009. But yes you are probably right in that the real chips probably won't be seen until Q1. Intel would have to launch Westmere in 2009 to not fall outside their tick-tock plan. If ya look at their ticktock chart, it shows 2009 for Westmere. :)

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel would have to launch Westmere in 2009 to not fall outside their tick-tock plan. If ya look at their ticktock chart, it shows 2009 for Westmere. :)

That's a good point. I must've been getting Larrabee information leaked into my Westmere information, or something.