Intel Releases Latest USB 3.0 Spec

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Intel shot out a press release yesterday that I somehow completely overlooked, which details the 0.9 spec for USB 3.0, and it clears up many questions that lingered in the air. The most important one being that the spec is becoming available to all members of the USB 3.0 Promoter Group and contributor companies that sign an agreement, under the 'RAND-Z' licensing term.

Beyond that, a spec 0.95 is due out in Q4, and it shouldn't be too long after that point before we begin to see products on the market that can both accept and utilize the new spec. Given this new draft is being released a week before IDF, it would be unlikely to not see example of the technology there, so we'll be sure to report on whatever we find out.

Seeing someone quoted from AMD in an Intel press release is unusual, but what Phil Eisler has to say is, "USB 3.0 is an answer to the future bandwidth need of the PC platform. AMD believes strongly in open industry standards, and therefore is supporting a common xHCI specification." Sounds good, but we knew that alreadu, right? Dell, Microsoft and NEC also have plans to take full advantage of the new spec, and I personally cannot wait to see the products to be equipped for it.

usb_official_logo_081408.jpg

"Dell welcomes the availability of Intel's xHCI specification because it provides a single interface standard that will expedite the industry transition to next-generation USB 3.0," said Rick Schuckle, client architecture strategist. "This interface standard is important to ensure that our customers have interoperable USB 3.0 systems, devices and software drivers."

Source: Intel Press Release

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
About time! I was expecting another USB 1.0 / 1.1 fiasco since Intel was refusing to release the spec. Very glad to see they came to their senses, even if it gave themselves and their select partners something around a six months lead in developing USB 3.0 spec devices....