Intel Introduces Processor Overclocking Insurance Plan

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel has just released an interesting insurance program for its current-gen K and X series processors that target the overclockers out there. Under this paid program, if a CPU dies or goes wonky as the result of overclocking, Intel will replace it for free. For those hoping to push their brand-new i7-3960X hard, purchasing a plan like this might not be a bad idea.

intel_snbe_slide_02_thumb.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

Would you overclockers out there purchase a plan like this? Personally, I don't think I would. While I do overclock, I never go "hardcore" on it, so I'd still be confident that if I had a CPU die, it'd not be related to the overclock at all, but rather be just a fluke.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I don't understand the business sense behind this at all. Unless Intel figures they make enough margin on the 3960X that $30 is enough to fork over a replacement for each one sold and that the PR is worth it...

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
I don't understand the business sense behind this at all. Unless Intel figures they make enough margin on the 3960X that $30 is enough to fork over a replacement for each one sold and that the PR is worth it...

Its an insurance plan. Its provided through another company unless Intel has gotten into insurance underwriting lol. They pay the insurer with the 20 to 35 and then file a claim against the replacement cost when you do the exchange.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
meh, I just sent my fried 2600k that was running at 4.8ghz till the motherboard (brand new, just faulty I guess) exploded in a BFBVFS and killed the cpu after 2 days of running. Shipped the 2600k and board at the same time, got the CPU back much earlier and was back up in no time, the only emails I got were the one to RMA and then saying it shipped. Also, they always ask "Did you overclock it?" The answer is always "No" unless you dont want a new CPU, and besides that Intel make too much damned money as it stands.