Intel Details Nehalem, Dunnington, Tukwila & Larrabee

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
At a press briefing, much more was revealed about the numerous upcoming technologies from Intel. In this article, we will be taking a look at Nehalem, Dunnington, Tukwila and Larrabee, along with a look at the new QuickPath Interconnect.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
The furture is looking very interesting for Intel "IF" all goes as planned...............;) Now if AMD could only get their collective POOP together again so we could see a little good old fashioned competition again, that would be totally awesome.

gml_josea

Obliviot
Five years? Haha, it will be outdated by then! ;-)

Of course, at this rate we will be seeing 32-core processors by 2013!
Honestly, I don't know how long this multi-core madness will go on, someday they will reach a ceiling, and I really want to know what are they going to do after.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Honestly, I don't know how long this multi-core madness will go on, someday they will reach a ceiling, and I really want to know what are they going to do after.

By then everyone will have their own super computer at home that will operate completely on voice commands..................:eek:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The furture is looking very interesting for Intel "IF" all goes as planned...............;) Now if AMD could only get their collective POOP together again so we could see a little good old fashioned competition again, that would be totally awesome.

AMD is down at the moment. I am sure they are holding their cards close to their chests because they absolutely have to. I am waiting to see how their video on die turns out. Also, when they can start to ship Phenoms with more competitive clocks, then we will see competition.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member

Eventually the programs we use will be able to efficiently use more than one core. How about we start there.

The future of CPUs is in parallel computing. NVIDIA is onto something with their CUDA architecture. Keep an eye on it. There is a lot of processing power in their GPUs.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
AMD is down at the moment. I am sure they are holding their cards close to their chests because they absolutely have to. I am waiting to see how their video on die turns out. Also, when they can start to ship Phenoms with more competitive clocks, then we will see competition.

They might beable to compete with the current gen CPU's with higher clocked Phenoms maybe. But unless they have some awesome hidden in their pants, they'll have one heck of a problem catching up to the Intel Nehalem when they ship later this year..................:eek: Just my opinion though.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The future of CPUs is in parallel computing. NVIDIA is onto something with their CUDA architecture. Keep an eye on it. There is a lot of processing power in their GPUs.
It's been almost and year and I had forgot about it.
For the 8 series and I guess upward, a stream process to increase instruction using the C programing.
Only thing, so far it's 32 bit
It has a lot to offer so far, but still a good ways to go.
I would still buy stock in Nvidia

Merlin

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not so sure about CUDA, either. The last time I heard about it was at the announcement. Not really, but it's been pretty damn quiet.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Eventually the programs we use will be able to efficiently use more than one core. How about we start there.

Or us users can just open up more programs to compensate for the lack of multi-threaded apps... :D

I am not to sure about CUDA, outside of HPC situations. Not even Stanford's Folding@home program wanted to use CUDA to program a NVIDIA port to F@H, because it was proprietary in nature. CUDA and its SDK was launched last February, and things have been pretty quiet on that front?

32-core Intel processors will seem almost normal by 2013 I would wager. Nehalem-EX is going to be a native 8-core 16-thread processor, and it will be out by early 2009. Supposed to have a Quad memory controller built in... it gets its own socket though and uses FB-DIMMs, but still imagine buying your memory in groups of four... ;)

As it is we will soon be buying memory in packs of three anyway, because the top-end desktop Nehalem is going to have a three channel controller.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
As tech advances so does the price tag right along with it. All the different socket changes along with all the other new parts required for the new tech/build is getting just a little on the expensive side don't you think.

MakubeX

Partition Master
Having to buy new hardware due to socket change is a bitch, but it's still pretty exciting when there's a new CPU family in town. :D

gml_josea

Obliviot
As tech advances so does the price tag right along with it. All the different socket changes along with all the other new parts required for the new tech/build is getting just a little on the expensive side don't you think.

Indeed. I can imagine Intel selling a 32-core processor for +$2000. My pockets are going to cry.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Having to buy new hardware due to socket change is a bitch, but it's still pretty exciting when there's a new CPU family in town. :D

I've got a little slush fund (going to have to be a huge one though) set aside just for this upgrade. With any luck I'll be able to upgrade in a sort of timely manner.................:eek:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
$2000 might be a bit much but who knows. By the time CPUs are to the point of incorporating 32 cores on one die, the standard everyday CPU is going to have probably half that much like we all have 2 cores now but the top end is 4.

Then again, I thought Sony wasn't going to have the brass to sell the PS3 for what they did initially. My guesses on pricing always suck.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I doubt 32-core processors will cost that much at launch... but it's far too early to even assume anything. Prices keep going down while technology keeps getting better. Nehalem of all things will likely carry a special premium, but even a year after its launch, consumer parts should be available for reasonable prices.

One question might be... do we need a 32-Core processor, even in 2013? For that to be considered, a LOT will have to progress between now and then with regards to multi-threading. There are still many applications that will not take advantage of more than one thread, and it's foolish since we've been dealing with Dual-Cores for over three years now, and Quad-Cores for over one and a half. But, it's going to inevitably happen sooner or later.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

Not any more than it always has been... prices go down, but "they" find new things to sell us so we end up paying roughly the same. Had I upgraded anything on my P4 Northwood it would of been just as bad... socket 478 to LGA 775, DDR to DDR2, AGP to PCIe....

I skipped all of those by keeping my Pentium 4 2.8GHz Northwood Abit IS7 mainboard for a bit over three years, then I built a new rig with an E6300+965P-DS3. Then I got bitten rather hard by the tech bug, couldn't say no to a Q6600... was so impressed with the overclocking on the 3-vReg/3phase DS3 that I sprung for a P35-DQ6 to pair with it.

Upgrading once a year is expensive, most definitely. If Nehalem lives up to the huge potential, I am going to try and buy a high-end board+CPU+GPU just once, and simply keep it for another 2-3 years like I did with my first system. X6800 Conroe came out 1.5 years ago, and it's still a good chip that can do 4GHz... makes all the hype on Penryn just seem a little overblown. :p

I don't see any reason to be interested in 32nm Westmere (Shrunken Nehalem), so buying a high-end Nehalem when they first come out and keeping it until 32nm "Sandy Bridge", another completely new architecture arrives seems like the best way to go. Which will definitely be 2 years post Nehalem's debut, longer if Intel has another repeat of their current severe shortage of Yorkfields...

Last edited: