Intel Core i7-870 & i5-750 - Nehalem for the Mainstream

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The wait for Intel's Lynnfield has been long, but it's safe to say that it's been well worth it. They may be considered "mainstream" models, but the new Core i5 and i7 processors are powerful. Expect faster performance, improved power consumption and greater efficiency. With the i5-750 set to sell for $199, the time to build that new PC is now.

You can read our full look at Intel's latest processors here and discuss it here!

Misha

Obliviot
Hi Rob, great test, as usually!
I must emphasis again that I read your reivew first, because of Lightroom and multimedia tests!

I think that I will shop for my i7 860 in a week or two :)
I just hope that OC will be nice, as i7 920 was!

It's really incredible what you can get for that money, especially if you know how cheap Motherboards are, comparing them to lot expensive X58 models.
Also, power efficiency is great!

Thanks for the test Rob!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi Misha:

Nice to hear from you again! Good choice on the i7-860, you will not be disappointed!

Misha said:
I just hope that OC will be nice, as i7 920 was!

Well, as we discussed before, I do want to begin including overclocked results. Due to time, I couldn't make that part of this launch article, so a follow-up will be posted at some point today. Let's just say that the results are very impressive. I benchmarked each test again with what I consider to be achievable (by anyone) results, regardless of the motherboard, and the gains are unbelievably sweet.

Thanks for the nice comments!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
omg, these processors are awesome! man how tech. changes in just a yr!
good to see my E8400 is still a good performer on the gaming side!

MacMan

Partition Master
It's wonderful, but also depressing, because no matter how great it is today, if you buy one today, then come tomorrow it will already be out dated quicker than you can say anything!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Welcome to the forums Eunoia!

I gotta agree, there is no reason to wait with Lynnfield now out. I'm sure in four months there will be new models to flesh out the lineup, but it will take at least a full year before 32nm Sandy Bridge CPU's make them obsolete.

The only other CPUs launching will be six-core Gulftowns for the X58 platform, but those will probably start at $512 or more for the lowest clocked model and don't target the same market Lynnfield does.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No problem, I gotta figure it'll be close to the i7-870 you reviewed with an irresistible break on the price.

Without question. If you want to do any overclocking, you're going to hit i7-870 performance and beyond. Given that the i5-750 and i7-870 in our overclocking tests could reach 4.0GHz, I have no doubt the i7-860 is a great clocker as well.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
With the release of the Lynnfield, I can't see AMD pulling any rabbits out of its hat. The $199 price tag for the i5-750 is just incredible.

BTW, new at the forums. Looking to buy a desktop this winter to play the marvelous catalog of games being released this fall (specifically Dragon Age and Assassin's Creed 2).

This site is terrific.

:)

Last edited:

gibbersome

Coastermaker
Agreed, I'll be switching back to Intel after a decade of absence. Just can't compete.

It also depends on what your needs are, especially if you're on a budget.

If you want the best value on a gaming system, it's better to splurge on a graphics card rather than the CPU. AMD has very good value in the mid to mid-high CPU market.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Read the review again, very nice!
i'm sold on the i5-750, i will be buying it instead of the i7-870 cause the i7 is just not for me, it will be a $100 extra going to waste and i can buy a full tower chassis with the saved money! :D

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
*sticks his head in*

i3 530 @ 4.2Ghz = i5 750 @ stock!

75358-haruhi_super.png

Just kidding.

It's not just the i7 CPU that will cost you money, Doomsday. The motherboards are generally more expensive and if you're like me you would -need- to have a triple channel memory kit.

Your new rig will be a screamer for sure.

***EDIT: I just read an article stating the i5 750 will go end of life in the 3rd quarter of 2011 so you may see some sweet deals on it if retailers are trying to move what stock they have left.

That means 1156 will be pushing up daisies soon.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
I'd go 1155 if it meant I didn't have to upgrade my chip. It's like Intel is trying to be the polar opposite of AMD in every way including backwards compatibility. Unless I fall into a pile of 1155 motherboards and chips I'll be at 1156 for a while yet. Maybe I'll jump up to a better processor or P55 board but I just don't see the advantage of switching in the near future.