Intel Contest: Tell Us YOUR Processor Story and Win!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Feeling creative and innovative? Tell us about it by entering the What’s Inside You Contest here. Starting today, innovators, educators, entertainers, communicators, creators, or anyone using an Intel processor to do something amazing can submit an image, audio or video file along with their story describing how Intel’s processor helps unleash their creativity. Participants must be at least 18 years of age and a resident of the United States to participate. No purchase necessary. Submissions will be evaluated on the relevance of the processor in the design, innovative use of technology and overall creativity. Fans can vote on their favorite entries. The official contest judges will select the winners from the top 10 vote-getters. Prizes include Intel® Centrino® 2 based laptops, an Intel Atom™ based netbook, gift cards and cash. Winners will be announced on March 2, 2009.[/FONT][/FONT]

This isn't a Techgage contest, but we wanted to pass the word along that it was going on! Well, Intel wanted us to, so here it is.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel has even more contest love going down:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In the spirit of the holidays and not being a scrooge, we’ve got three contests (one I sent ya a few days back) going on right now that have pretty cool prizes (new Centrino 2 laptops, Core i7 processors, $500 Amazon gift certificate, etc) that your readers may want to know about. Or heck, you should play. Each require some good, creative technical chops.

The first one already has some chatter, sent ya info a few days back (thanks to those who posted!). It’s called the “What’s Inside You?” contest that asks readers to share their story about the unique and personally creative ways a person uses his or her PC or Mac. More information about it is at http://www.intel.com/go/whatsinsideyoucontest/

The second merely asks people to guess the number of reinvented transistors Intel has shipped since the beginning of the year. These would be our 45 nanometer chips with our Hafnium-based, high-k metal gate transistor formula. It’s a gigantic number and the closest guess wins $500 Amazon gift certificate good for anything, including Intel-based laptops, netbooks, PCs, et al. People can post their guesses at http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2008/12/contest_guess_intel_45nm_trans.php.

The third one is jointly with Ubisoft. On the heels of the Intel Core i7 Processor launch and from now through Dec. 30
and winners can get a Centrino 2 laptop or cash prizes. <sup>th</sup>, 50 sweepstakes entrants will win a copy of Far Cry 2 for Windows, optimized for Core i7 processors from Intel and Ubisoft. Also, one daily participant will be awarded an Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition. More information on that one is at http://contest.ubi.com/COREI7_EMEA/us-US/Main.aspx.
[/FONT]

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Intel announced the winner for the transistor count contest... 19,914,946,000,000,000. I was damn close with 16.2 quadrillion, but I think I came in third or fourth...

Going by that number, Intel has shipped more than 125,000 45nm CPUs per day, with at least 1/3rd of them being quads, within 10 months.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel announced the winner for the transistor count contest... 19,914,946,000,000,000. I was damn close with 16.2 quadrillion, but I think I came in third or fourth...

Going by that number, Intel has shipped more than 125,000 45nm CPUs per day, with at least 1/3rd of them being quads, within 10 months.

Haha, wow. Good job on coming even that close though... that's a lot of math at play.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Actaully that was a really basic guess. If I had realized a few things I would have guessed even higher and might've made it!

Intel made a bunch of headlines about "shipping 100,000 45nm CPUs a day" earlier this year... I simply used that as my starting figure, and after I had trouble finding out what % were duals vs quads I simply assumed 1/3rd. I let Excel do the simple math and arrived at 16.2q. As it was I began thinking I was overestimating so I quit worrying about it. I knew they started out producing a much lower figure and eventually ramped well above 100,000 but I figured it would offset itself to assume a flatline production level... wasn't quite high enough to make it though.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Actaully that was a really basic guess. If I had realized a few things I would have guessed even higher and might've made it!

Intel made a bunch of headlines about "shipping 100,000 45nm CPUs a day" earlier this year... I simply used that as my starting figure, and after I had trouble finding out what % were duals vs quads I simply assumed 1/3rd. I let Excel do the simple math and arrived at 16.2q. As it was I began thinking I was overestimating so I quit worrying about it. I knew they started out producing a much lower figure and eventually ramped well above 100,000 but I figured it would offset itself to assume a flatline production level... wasn't quite high enough to make it though.

Simple math it might be, but there's still a fair amount of assumptions going on. It's cool though... I look forward to a time when Quad's far out-number Dual's though. I want more multi-threaded applications... bad. It sucks to have a Quad-Core and have it under-utilized most of the time, haha.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
In my reasearch I did find Intel has sold more than 10 million Quads... back in April. Which was when the Q6600 was ~$266+ and the cheapest quad around. With $180 quads like the Q8200 and Q6600 floating around now you know that figure has only exploded since then ;)

It shouldn't be that much longer before applications begin to catch up. :)