installed a Lg SATA DVD burner and my PC freeze 10 min the sing of welcome of xp

manuel27

Obliviot
Have you installed service pack 3?

Really... it's completely safe to do even on pirated copies of XP and between the bios adjustment and the service pack you should get rid of the problem.

For the CPU usage... how high is it? 5 or 10 percent is not unusual when it's doing background maintenance tasks such as disk cleanup or cataloging file protections.

yeah its between 5 % and 10% but ..im not running any tasks!.:confused::( , im scared to run service pack 3....the windows advantange program will stalk me forever!! you know the blue star.. jesus..:eek::mad:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
yeah its between 5 % and 10% but ..im not running any tasks!.:confused::( , im scared to run service pack 3....the windows advantange program will stalk me forever!! you know the blue star.. jesus..:eek::mad:

Don't worry about it... I've put SP3 into dozens of computers without any problems at all. The SP3 link I gave you at the top of this thread is right on Microsoft's website, it's all microsoft code... really... it won't be a problem.

YOU may not be running any tasks, but XP might... when idle XP does disk maintenance, housecleaning tasks, still runs networking, system file protection, swap file cleanup, and more. This does use CPU time and it is essential to the proper operation of the system.

Worry less... accomplish more, my friend.

Last edited:

manuel27

Obliviot
Don't worry about it... I've put SP3 into dozens of computers without any problems at all. The SP3 link I gave you at the top of this thread is right on Microsoft's website, it's all microsoft code... really... it won't be a problem.

YOU may not be running any tasks, but XP might... when idle XP does disk maintenance, housecleaning tasks, still runs networking, system file protection, swap file cleanup, and more. This does use CPU time and it is essential to the proper operation of the system.

Worry less... accomplish more, my friend.

good call:eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Actually Rob, almost all ODDs have a small drill hole in the front cover. If you straighten out a paper clip and push it into the hole, with a little bit of probing you can push the tray mechanism to open it just enough to grab and pull the tray open.

I haven't a clue why I didn't mention that, since I have to do it quite often.

yeah its between 5 % and 10% but ..im not running any tasks!. , im scared to run service pack 3....the windows advantange program will stalk me forever!! you know the blue star.. jesus..

Every-single piece of software I use is completely legal (and I have the boxes/receipts to prove it), but that doesn't stop me from finding the convenience of software cracks a better solution than draconian activation schemes, especially for Windows. I can verify along with Tango that SP3 installs fine on a "cracked" Windows XP. If there is an issue, it's super-easy to un-install. Doing so will revert you right back to SP2 without nary a change.