installed a Lg SATA DVD burner and my PC freeze 10 min the sing of welcome of xp

manuel27

Obliviot
hi,

i installed a LG SATA GH20NS15 DVD burner in my PC that has a asrock 775i65g motherboard. I'm running Windows XP. I have a ide hard drive and IDE DVD burner already connected. When I start my computer it freezes up 10 min after initiate xp. Is the a BIOS setting or something that I'm missing?:mad:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hi manuel and welcome to the forums!

To be honest, it sounds more like an IDE cable issue, though it's hard to say. I just know that IDE cables are prone to issues like this, many of which I've personally experienced back in the day. If you have a brand-new IDE cable lying around somewhere, I'd highly recommend trying that, and also making sure that the connections between the IDE cables and the motherboard, and also the power connections, are as secure as could be.

There's no reason for the PC to freeze after entering Windows that I can think of right now... especially not after being turned on for 10 minutes. Generally, if there's a real IDE issue, the computer won't boot up at all.

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
hi,

i installed a LG SATA GH20NS15 DVD burner in my PC that has a asrock 775i65g motherboard. I'm running Windows XP. I have a ide hard drive and IDE DVD burner already connected. When I start my computer it freezes up 10 min after initiate xp. Is the a BIOS setting or something that I'm missing?:mad:

Rob's suggestions are good. I've seen IDE cables cause some seriously strange behavior in computers.

If this just started when you put in the SATA drive, there are a couple of extra things to check...

1) XP isn't particularly smart about SATA drives before service pack 3 so you should install that if you haven't already.

2) In your bios make sure the SATA drive is working in "compatibility" mode if there is a setting for that.

3) In XP make sure you have the appropriate SATA drivers installed into your IDE devices section.

It may be that Windows is only partly recognizing your drive or asking it to operate in a mode it's not fully compatible with.

manuel27

Obliviot
thanks for the welcome amigo,

ok ..today i will try everything ..and its really odd because i tried the new burner in my moms pc and it worked fine..and xp didnt boot and i did not configure anything just installed the burner and play it fine..:confused:

manuel27

Obliviot
Hi manuel and welcome to the forums!

To be honest, it sounds more like an IDE cable issue, though it's hard to say. I just know that IDE cables are prone to issues like this, many of which I've personally experienced back in the day. If you have a brand-new IDE cable lying around somewhere, I'd highly recommend trying that, and also making sure that the connections between the IDE cables and the motherboard, and also the power connections, are as secure as could be.

There's no reason for the PC to freeze after entering Windows that I can think of right now... especially not after being turned on for 10 minutes. Generally, if there's a real IDE issue, the computer won't boot up at all.
but the dvd burner its connectec via a sata cable en sata port 1, when a disconnect the dvd burner xp works fine and dont freeze.. when it freeze the pc seems like procesing something its like the cpu its working but i dont open no program .. and then it crash i have to reset..sorry for my english this is very confusing and its hard to explain in another lenguage

manuel27

Obliviot
Rob's suggestions are good. I've seen IDE cables cause some seriously strange behavior in computers.

If this just started when you put in the SATA drive, there are a couple of extra things to check...

1) XP isn't particularly smart about SATA drives before service pack 3 so you should install that if you haven't already.

2) In your bios make sure the SATA drive is working in "compatibility" mode if there is a setting for that.

3) In XP make sure you have the appropriate SATA drivers installed into your IDE devices section.

It may be that Windows is only partly recognizing your drive or asking it to operate in a mode it's not fully compatible with.

YESS it started when i put the sata dvd burner..and when i unplug the drive xp run fine and dont crash, i have service pack 2..but also a pirated xp so downloading service pack 3 will not cause an error or something unexpected? please advice gimme some download links im:mad::confused::(

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
YESS it started when i put the sata dvd burner..and when i unplug the drive xp run fine and dont crash, i have service pack 2..but also a pirated xp so downloading service pack 3 will not cause an error or something unexpected? please advice gimme some download links im:mad::confused::(

You can download SP3 as a "network installation" (i.e. one big file) HERE It will install clean over any running XP installation with no re-activation or validation checks. After installing it you should disable Automatic Updates as you will want to keep your system in that state for quite some time.

But the bios change --"compatibility mode"-- and driver are the main things you should be looking at. You can probably download the drivers you need from the ASRock website... look for something like "SATA IDE" or "SATA Enhanced" driver, specifically for XP ...

One last thing... if none of this works for you... try the drive in a different computer and see if the problem moves with the drive. It could be defective.

Last edited:

manuel27

Obliviot
You can download SP3 as a "network installation" (i.e. one big file) HERE It will install clean over any running XP installation with no re-activation or validation checks. After installing it you should disable Automatic Updates as you will want to keep your system in that state for quite some time.

But the bios change --"compatibility mode"-- and driver are the main things you should be looking at. You can probably download the drivers you need from the ASRock website... look for something like "SATA IDE" or "SATA Enhanced" driver, specifically for XP ...

One last thing... if none of this works for you... try the drive in a different computer and see if the problem moves with the drive. It could be defective.

ok will try this suggestions...the dvd drive its fine! i tried on my moms pc and runs like a charm, i have few pc skills but i will give a shot ..jesus this is has been a long run..all started when my old burner ide didnt burn dvd dl discs .. oh i and old lite on and dont open the tray its stuck ..suggestions?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ok will try this suggestions...the dvd drive its fine! i tried on my moms pc and runs like a charm, i have few pc skills but i will give a shot ..jesus this is has been a long run..all started when my old burner ide didnt burn dvd dl discs .. oh i and old lite on and dont open the tray its stuck ..suggestions?

If there is a disc in that other drive, just use a butter knife or something like it to get into the slot and pull it out. If it's simply not ejecting at all, then chances are the drive is just dead.

ODDs have to be one of the weakest components in a PC. I've had two die on me this year alone.

manuel27

Obliviot
If there is a disc in that other drive, just use a butter knife or something like it to get into the slot and pull it out. If it's simply not ejecting at all, then chances are the drive is just dead.

ODDs have to be one of the weakest components in a PC. I've had two die on me this year alone.

good news..i fix it my ide burner with a clip..he was not dead!! hes alive alive!!!..lol , but anyways..the sata burner now it s my top corncern..amigo ..y watched the pc config of my moms pc..and she has service pack 2...and the unit worked in that pc...at least its not the service pack

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
good news..i fix it my ide burner with a clip..he was not dead!! hes alive alive!!!..lol , but anyways..the sata burner now it s my top corncern..amigo ..y watched the pc config of my moms pc..and she has service pack 2...and the unit worked in that pc...at least its not the service pack

As Tango mentioned earlier, SP3 fixed some things, so you'll probably want to download that and see if it helps at all.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

madstork91

The One, The Only...
esta possible que tu "crack" no esta sufficiante para la sp3... Esta possible que SP3 resultar en windows no functionar mas.

tengare cautiones con tu palabras en un forum publico mi amigo. Esta mal para algo lugares tenar informationes. Y Techgage no le gusta mucho.

;-p

Good luck. And sorry if my spanish is broken. ;-p

Last edited:

manuel27

Obliviot
esta possible que tu "crack" no esta sufficiante para la sp3... Esta possible que SP3 resultar en windows no functionar mas.

tengare cautiones con tu palabras en un forum publico mi amigo. Esta mal para algo lugares tenar informationes. Y Techgage no le gusta mucho.

;-p

Good luck. And sorry if my spanish is broken. ;-p

you have a nice level on spanish its not broken!..oh i see..we cant talk over here about cracks and pirated software..sorry my bad..:eek::rolleyes:

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey

Actually Rob, almost all ODDs have a small drill hole in the front cover. If you straighten out a paper clip and push it into the hole, with a little bit of probing you can push the tray mechanism to open it just enough to grab and pull the tray open.

From experience I can tell you that if the disk is jamming the tray shut beyond the "paper clip release", it's most likely damaged beyond use.

manuel27

Obliviot
ok amigos i think i got it..solve... YES it was a a bad config on the bios..i have to set it to idle+sata and then the drive to cd/dvd not to auto..well i will test the pc and see whats going on if freeze again or what

manuel27

Obliviot
ok..i quit..to the lg burner..yesterday a bought a sony dvd burner..and xp dont freeze but still im having problems with xp..the cpu seems to be reading and im dont have any task open or a program

2Tired2Tango

Tech Monkey
ok..i quit..to the lg burner..yesterday a bought a sony dvd burner..and xp dont freeze but still im having problems with xp..the cpu seems to be reading and im dont have any task open or a program

Have you installed service pack 3?

Really... it's completely safe to do even on pirated copies of XP and between the bios adjustment and the service pack you should get rid of the problem.

For the CPU usage... how high is it? 5 or 10 percent is not unusual when it's doing background maintenance tasks such as disk cleanup or cataloging file protections.