Import Cars vs. Domestic Cars

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Just finished reading this article and found it pretty interesting, although not very surprising. I guess it all comes down to "you get what you pay for" in a sense.

Car manufacturing is a difficult business. A substantial amount of time, money and manpower go into designing and building durable and desirable automobiles. One of the most integral parts to that system is the people who check the quality of the cars as they're being manufactured in the plant. These quality engineers help make sure the domestic and import cars we buy are the best they can possibly be. But do the men and women behind the scenes have the resources they need to get you the best product possible?

Recently, I interviewed a former quality engineer and asked him what his take was on the automobile industry's car manufacturing processes. He agreed to talk about his experiences, opinions and evaluations. We elected to hide his identity to protect his privacy, although we didn't get to do anything fun like put a mask or cape on him; instead we're taking the easy way out and referring to him as "Jason."

http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/import-cars-vs-domestic-cars-quality/20070719092709990001

moon111

Coastermaker
In the article, 'Jason' states: "J.D. Power does a good job of scrutinizing the automotive industry and seeing who is doing what"

Well JD Powers has awared 1/3 of all awards to plants... just in the province of Ontario, Canada alone. Yes some 'import' vehicles are pretty good, but usually because they're built in Canada.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In the article, 'Jason' states: "J.D. Power does a good job of scrutinizing the automotive industry and seeing who is doing what"

Well JD Powers has awared 1/3 of all awards to plants... just in the province of Ontario, Canada alone. Yes some 'import' vehicles are pretty good, but usually because they're built in Canada.

From what I gathered... I didn't really think that he was applying this to actual import cars built overseas, but rather import cars built state-side. I somehow doubt he worked overseas at some import factory, but I could be wrong. A lot of import cars are built over in NA... but their overall company work ethics may still be different.