If Microsoft was Open Source, would it have LESS bugs?

chillout

Obliviot
T-Shirt said:
That's right, it MAY be a viable business model in the future, but alot of people need to use their computers for the next 9 years without having to learn a new O/S, different tools, different apps. (all very similar, yet not quite the same as MS)

I totally agree with T-Shirt. People will use their computers for the next 9 years, then after those 9 years are over, they will have put a substantial investment into Mcirosoft O/S. They will then justify continue to use it because of all the investment, etc. It forms a repeating series of events. People buy the software, invest into it, and justify continue using it.

MaRm

Obliviot
skyrise said:
What is StarOffice. I never heard of it.

Star Office was Sun Microsystems version of an office-like product meant to compete with Microsoft's Office. I haven't read too much about it. Sort of passed away into obscurity.

Ben

Site Developer
StarOffice is Sun Microsystems' commercial office suite software package. StarOffice is the commercialized version of the open-source codebase developed by OpenOffice.org with some additional features.
Source.

fullpicture

Obliviot
Unfortunately the source is wrong in this case.

I remember StarOffice. StarOffice came out <b>before</b> OpenOffice, thus it can't be the commercialized version of it, if it came out before it! Somebody got things backwards on that wikipedia page.