Ideazon MERC Stealth Gaming Keyboard

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Gamers love using peripherals that give them an edge, but is Ideazon's MERC Stealth one of those products? That's what we were set to find out. One thing is clear... this is a feature-packed keyboard, though it might not be for everyone.

You can read Kiersten's review here and discuss it here!

NicePants42

Partition Master
I really wanted to like this keyboard; lighting options to fit most color schemes, nicely placed gaming keys for WASD gamers wanting to increase actions per second, but seeing how Ideazon dealt with the issue of keyboard width makes me think that the FANG gamepad might be the better alternative for many (especially left-handed) gamers.

Also, Kirsten, does the software allow macros to be programmed?

MakubeX

Partition Master
Looks like a solid keyboard, but I'm just to used to regular keyboards to use those gaming keys.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
I'm a big fan of the FANG (and to a lesser extent the Nostromo), this is a nice keyboard, but I don't think I'd buy it at that price point.

U

Unregistered

fang and merc

Hi,

I've owned both the Fang and Merc keyboard.

They both help your overall score and reaction time in FPS.

Now personally I don't use the software to map keys.
I just leave it (the zboard) on default setting.

I just go into the game itself and press the key on the gamepad
for what I want it to be. Its far easier that way, plus if the software crashs while playing, has really no effect on you. Usually don't notice until done playing. (I haven't had it crash in a LONG time, was more prone a year ago)

I honestly think you're (reviewer) the first person i've every heard of using the
Z and C key to strafe left and right. I've always used A and D, W forward, S backward. And everyone else I know online does too....

Get the Fang if you use the numberpad for doing a lot of things.
Also if you like your current keyboard for typing.

If you need a new keyboard anyways, and don't use the number pad very much, Fang is a good choice. The keys are a little stiffer on the Merc for typing than a standard keyboard. Gave my fingers a workout :)

My only real issue with the Fang, is it can slide around a bit, depending on
how hard you push, etc.

If anyone has any questions for either feel free to email me :
ultimaone@gmail.com

GeekGirl

Obliviot
Also, Kirsten, does the software allow macros to be programmed?

If you mean simple one command hot keys, yes, like you can program the '1' on the gaming pad to open your inventory.

If you mean multiple commands, such as programming the '1' button to unequip sword and shield then equip teddy bear then execute the 'cuddle' emote, then no, there was nothing I saw that allowed for complex macro commands to be sequenced.

U

Unregistered

I am an old gamer. Im 36 and been gaming since the long days of pong on my old black and white set back when I was a kid that had a tin foil antenna and channels you changed with pliers. That said I also game, and been gaming for years on the pc with a regular keyboard up till about 6 months ago when I bought a Merc, the unlighted one. I also own every single console there is, even my old and trusty $600 3DO, to my Atari 2600.

This talk of Im an old gamer and Im used to the keyboard and you will never get me to change, well sorry to say, then YOU are NOT a true gamer! To be a gamer, a TRUE gamer, you need to adapt as the times change, as games change, as hardware changes, and yes I will admit it took me a little time to re-train my way of gaming to get used to this keyboard and I am glad I did. This is bull when you say you cant change, and then call yourself a gamer, you should be ashamed of yourself and be hit upside the head with a dreamcast controller, then have your "I am a gamer" card thrown in the shredder.

This is by far one of the best keyboards once you get the hang of it, and it doesnt take all that long. Took me a matter of a few hours to have it down pat. WHY? Because I AM a gamer and adapt to make my gaming experience more enjoyable when new technology arises. For you to say your used to your old tried and true, then you may as well of kept your Pentium 133 running dos and stayed with playing pac man on it, for why should you of ever upgraded any of your pc hardware over the times to play any new games that come out. Why buy the newest and best console, graphics card, sound card, cpu, or killer sound card with the speakers to match, and then say "Im a gamer and like my old keyboard."

Please bitches, I own you all! Gamer, HA, my big white hairy ass, get with the times or be left behind!

K

Kharkas

This keyboard is amazing

I previously had the ZBoard Merc keyboard (the normal, non-illuminated version) and loved it so much. I bought it directly from Ideazon before the major stores even sold it. I followed its development prior to its release and was more happy about the keyboard than I expected with all the hype.

Let me tell you. I love the illuminated stealth version even more than its predecessor. This keyboard has all the features that the other one had, but it lets you play in the dark. Even if you're not in the dark though, this keyboard looks amazing lit up. My whole computer has a blue/black theme, so this fits perfectly with the blue backlight.

As far as gaming goes, you can't beat this keyboard. The gaming portion has all the necessary keys at your fingertips without having to stretch your hands. I play Call of Duty 4 and World of Warcraft on this keyboard and my skill has greatly improved since using it. I'll never go back to a normal keyboard for gaming, I'll just keep waiting to see what other awesome products Ideazon comes out with.

Oh yeah, last thought: I was so happy with this keyboard that I have talked 6 different friends into getting it. They love theirs too.

Zippydsmlee

Obliviot
I am an old gamer. Im 36 and been gaming since the long days of pong on my old black and white set back when I was a kid that had a tin foil antenna and channels you changed with pliers. That said I also game, and been gaming for years on the pc with a regular keyboard up till about 6 months ago when I bought a Merc, the unlighted one. I also own every single console there is, even my old and trusty $600 3DO, to my Atari 2600.

This talk of Im an old gamer and Im used to the keyboard and you will never get me to change, well sorry to say, then YOU are NOT a true gamer! To be a gamer, a TRUE gamer, you need to adapt as the times change, as games change, as hardware changes, and yes I will admit it took me a little time to re-train my way of gaming to get used to this keyboard and I am glad I did. This is bull when you say you cant change, and then call yourself a gamer, you should be ashamed of yourself and be hit upside the head with a dreamcast controller, then have your "I am a gamer" card thrown in the shredder.

This is by far one of the best keyboards once you get the hang of it, and it doesnt take all that long. Took me a matter of a few hours to have it down pat. WHY? Because I AM a gamer and adapt to make my gaming experience more enjoyable when new technology arises. For you to say your used to your old tried and true, then you may as well of kept your Pentium 133 running dos and stayed with playing pac man on it, for why should you of ever upgraded any of your pc hardware over the times to play any new games that come out. Why buy the newest and best console, graphics card, sound card, cpu, or killer sound card with the speakers to match, and then say "Im a gamer and like my old keyboard."

Please bitches, I own you all! Gamer, HA, my big white hairy ass, get with the times or be left behind!

BS..... I am a gamer of 2X years 3X years old and I find modern gaming's lack of control options,polish and the nerve to release unfinished 50$ titles disturbing at best....madding at worst, I will not lower my standards to drool over a pretty but short sighted and un finished project they didn't have the time to finish because the industry has such high overhead all they can do is endlessly spew out disposable casual media to keep up appearances....

Yes I know rant is over 9000 and I am a crazy gamer nazi(IE fickle and picky) but I don't shy away from being insane =^^=

/rant

For the KB in question the KB layout is restrictive but since I look at the keys when I type the illumination has cut my misspellings in half if not more, the customized number pad has issues in getting into safe mode but works fine for the bios of my motherboard tho which is odd.... probably not putting enough power into the USB pipes...

The gaming keys are ok I suck no worse at them than normal keys :p, I do wish it did toggle keys and multi mode keys (hold a key down to have other keys change function while its depressed) not enough games give you enough mapping options and newer ones are even more restrictive over controls and its just drives me mad when they lock keys on a PC keyboard...really hate the casual port down to PC nature of the industry...hell the new consoles are so bad I sold mine off after a few months crap qaulity for pretty game at extra cost with basic cookie cutter control options...blah.....blah I say!
/rant
end ddammnn uuuu!!!
LOL

I also instantly noticed this board is built with tight specs(and it weights a ton), this means any error in its assembly can lead to oddities and strange behavior, I had to loosen a few screws to stop it from going crazy on me like any good tsundere 0-o

Also the board might have issues with older USB devices I have a couple old thumb drives that give out the power error....frankly this board is not worth 40$...but the colors got me mmaannnn....

Mabye when/if logitech launches a multi color board with a better programmable setup I'll jump for it for 1XX ><

On another note My logitech X7 died so I had to replace it
with a MS wireless 5000..its not bad..its not great it will do till I can get a good gameing mouse.... least I got it while I was buying comp crap got a new case and mobo!

Zippydsmlee

Obliviot
56 yr old gamer here
Now kids, calm down or you go to the corner for time out

My bad my bad, merely pointing out how poorly thought out today control schemes are...but alas mew constructive rant needs more thought/grammar and less rant.
:p

Uhg I really want toggle and any button plus another button equals new button thing...what is that called anyway "shift+ with any button"?

V

Vortex Systems

THIS KEYBOARD IS NO GOOD

Hi,

I've owned both the Fang and Merc keyboard.

They both help your overall score and reaction time in FPS.

Now personally I don't use the software to map keys.
I just leave it (the zboard) on default setting.

I just go into the game itself and press the key on the gamepad
for what I want it to be. Its far easier that way, plus if the software crashs while playing, has really no effect on you. Usually don't notice until done playing. (I haven't had it crash in a LONG time, was more prone a year ago)

I honestly think you're (reviewer) the first person i've every heard of using the
Z and C key to strafe left and right. I've always used A and D, W forward, S backward. And everyone else I know online does too....

Get the Fang if you use the numberpad for doing a lot of things.
Also if you like your current keyboard for typing.

If you need a new keyboard anyways, and don't use the number pad very much, Fang is a good choice. The keys are a little stiffer on the Merc for typing than a standard keyboard. Gave my fingers a workout :)

My only real issue with the Fang, is it can slide around a bit, depending on
how hard you push, etc.

If anyone has any questions for either feel free to email me :
ultimaone@gmail.com

READ THIS - Article may have overlooked the most important thing!

Can i suggest this is the only keyboard you've ever used?

It's actually TERRIBLE. I'm thinking about going well out of my way to SPAM abuse about it everywhere...

WHo make an ergo keyboard and then makes it TOO long. I swear to you this is the most bollox F up ever.

Those of you working in the industry wil know what i'm talking about. 2 numpads makes it too wide, causing your arms to force a V shape which is bad for the shoulders. placing one in front of the other in a desk is no good either.

OWNED

Go get a shi!!y wolfclaw or logitech or razer... nothing else is worth it tbfh.. not even saitek. die.

Zippydsmlee

Obliviot
READ THIS - Article may have overlooked the most important thing!

Can i suggest this is the only keyboard you've ever used?

It's actually TERRIBLE. I'm thinking about going well out of my way to SPAM abuse about it everywhere...

WHo make an ergo keyboard and then makes it TOO long. I swear to you this is the most bollox F up ever.

Those of you working in the industry wil know what i'm talking about. 2 numpads makes it too wide, causing your arms to force a V shape which is bad for the shoulders. placing one in front of the other in a desk is no good either.

OWNED

Go get a shi!!y wolfclaw or logitech or razer... nothing else is worth it tbfh.. not even saitek. die.

It is long, but not longer than my old Logitech G11, and the game zone on it is not a 2nd number pad as the mixed number pad is vital for trouble shooting windose....when it works.....I have found little works on the number pad when it forces on numlock and you can not...turn it off......

The Keybaord has issues and the numberpad itself is not one of them.... at least IMO... Hell for me 40$was just for the pretty lights..... and 20$ for the keyboard itself 0_o