IceMat Black Siberia

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With so many headsets available that are specifically designed for gamers, it makes it difficult to choose the right one. We are taking a look at the IceMat Black Siberia, based off the original Siberia that has been given countless awards. Let's jump right in and take a fresh look at this cool product!

black_siberia.gif

After reading the full review here, feel free to comment on it here!

Word.

E.M.I.
Good review

Hey Rob, nicely done, but i "think" i found a spelling mistake, ill paste it below.

The microphone for the Siberia is not attached to the headphones, like most others. Instead, it's a separate piece on it's own cord. It's quite small, and has a clip so that you can attach it to your shirt. This is one problem I had with the Siberia, ***********albeit a small one.************ The clip is not very large, so it's hard to clip anywhere except for your shirt. It was too small to clip to my laptop monitor, although I hoped it would.
I don't now for sure if it is, but it confused the hell outta me :p

U

Unregistered

Cool,thanks Rob,I might well invest in a set of these

U

Unregistered

hi.

i have a quick question about these headphones

if you wore glasses while using them, are they still comfortable after long periods of use?

i currently own the mdr-v300s and have a problem with how tightly they fit. they press my ear against my glasses, making it so after 20 minutes of use, they become uncomfortable.

does the icemat have this problem?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Hmm, I haven't used the IceMat for a while, but I wear glasses. I had no problems wearing them for hours at a time. They've actually been some of the best headphones I've used for that reason.

U

Unregistered

Rob Williams said:
Hmm, I haven't used the IceMat for a while, but I wear glasses. I had no problems wearing them for hours at a time. They've actually been some of the best headphones I've used for that reason.

why'd you switch? What do you use now?

If you still have them, can you check to see how tightly they fit for me? :)

thanks a lot for your review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I switched just because I prefer the way the mic is on the 601i Altec Lansings. They also have surround sound, so some things sound a little better.

I don't have the headphones anymore, I just gave them to my sister before she moved. I used them for months though, and played games for hours. I never had any problems with them.

U

Unregistered

sorry to be a pest
but i only keep asking because my ears are ultra sensitive.

do you remember if it ever pressed your ears into your glasses?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think it would be hard to get a headset that is 'perfect' for this reason. Though, I have used four different headsets in the past year, and the Siberia was by far the most comfortable when it comes to glasses.

Out of any headset I have used, this would be your best bet. I don't know of any others on the market that could possibly be more comfortable than these, unless you are willing to pay out the behind :)

madmat

Soup Nazi
I've got a pair of Koss UR-40 headphones and they do not press your ears into your glasses at all. They're extremely light, have a webbed headband, are foldable, cover your ears rather than set on them and sound simply awesome. The sad part is they have no mic. If you want a great sounding pair of stereo headphones and don't mind spending a bit for them ($49.99 at Radio Shack, less online via Froogle) you can't go wrong. If you need a full on headset with a mic, well, I dunno.

U

Unregistered

http://www.icemat.com/products/icematsiberia

There is a USB and non USB one.

Which is better for use with the computer?

I'm not really computer savvy, so I don't really understand the extra info with the USB.

It seems there's extra surround sound and stuff so the USB is better?

Someone please help me clarify this. Thanks in advance!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I would get the non-USB version. Generally, USB ones sound good, but can sometimes run into problems. I have heard from fellow CS: Source players that theirs have 'kicked' out from time to time during gameplay.

I have never had that happen, and I have used USB before. There is really no sound difference really been either. You may as well get whichever you prefer. If you are planning to plug these into your speakers, then it may be just as easy to get the USB version. That way you won't have a long ass cord all over your desk.

U

Unregistered

earlier you mentioned that they do not have surround sound (or the altecs do)

seems like the USB headphones give you 7.1 surround sound?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I guess so, I really have no idea since I've never used them. If that was the case, I would go for the USB. I can't vouch for the quality of the surround sound though.

In the pictures for the USB, especially in the 'in the box' section, it doesn't once show the USB connector. Not really sure what that 'soundcard' is.

U

Unregistered

the USB soundcard....would it be just an attachment to the headphones? (i once owned a logitech USB headset and i think it had it's own soundcard?)

i'm really sorry to keep bothering you, but i'm really not knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and want to spend my money wisely.

thanks a billion

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
the USB soundcard....would it be just an attachment to the headphones? (i once owned a logitech USB headset and i think it had it's own soundcard?)

i'm really sorry to keep bothering you, but i'm really not knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and want to spend my money wisely.

thanks a billion

im a bit uva noob in this too.

what is the diff?