I need help! should i buy a 2.0 mobo for an ati 5850 or should i stick w/ my old 1.0?

bracks1

Obliviot
ei guys is there a big difference in performance if i placed an ati 5850 to a mobo which only has a pci-e 1.0x16 slot??? or should i invest in a mobo with a 2.0 x16 slot?? any input would be helpful...

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Got the cash go for the Motherboard, if not, stick with the 1.0 till u can buy a new motherboard..:)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You'll be fine with the 1.0. The only time when you might run into a bandwidth issue is with dual-GPUs with two very high-end cards. You're absolutely fine with your choice there.

bracks1

Obliviot
another guy at another thread told me that there would be a difference if i play on a 1920x1080 resolution which i plan on doing..is this true guys?? and is a pci-express 1.0 x16 slot equal to a pci-express 2.0 x8 slot??

evilives34

Obliviot
ok, i'm idiot i forgot the what the 5850(in video card specs) is lol, you'll be fine

Last edited:

evilives34

Obliviot
it means that 5850 will do just fine, i think it will use all the bandwidth on that 1.0 pci-e channel has but it wont go over, and going over is what causes problems

pci-e 1.0 will work just fine