HUGE PROBLEM! needhelp asap.

Oh you should also download and use Windows Defender (use to be Microsoft Anti-spyware). I use it and it catches quite a bit of problems that may come in through holes.

Ben

Site Developer
Fr00zen said:
It is not the browser that is at fault. In this case it is the user at fault. The biggest mistake you can make with IE is leaving certain features turned on at all times especially dangerous features like active scripting. You should only activate those features for sites you trust. IE has 3 different security settings that they call "zones". You have the general purpose "Internet Zone" and you have a "Trusted Sites Zone". On my IE, only those sites which I add to my Trusted Sites Zone have features like active scripting and java turned on. I went thru with a fine tooth comb and my general Internet Zone only has those minimal features that are absolutely necessary turned on. Only my Trusted Sites Zone get access to the additional features.

Actually, the browser is at fault. The user didn't make the bugs, the browser did. If they browser didnt have bugs, the user would not have to worry about them. And really we shouldn't have to worry about safe lists or some shit when it comes to browsing the web. The browser should take care of all that for us. This is why IE sucks because it fails to do that effectively.

chillout

Obliviot
Angela Miller said:
Oh you should also download and use Windows Defender (use to be Microsoft Anti-spyware). I use it and it catches quite a bit of problems that may come in through holes.

Didn't Microsoft come out with a new anti-spyware program? I don't remember the name, but last time I went to Microsoft's website I remember seeing a beta version there. Like a few months ago.

madmat

Soup Nazi
madstork91 said:
sry for the double post... but a double edit seems rediculous and im kinda updating the progress anyhow.

This panda scanner bassically found the "viruses" to really be nothing more than places in certain programs that "might be vulnerable" to certain types of viruses. WOW...

as for the spyware... Cookies, one of which was from adaware.

Oh and the "hacking" tools... Spybot and adaware... I cant remember what the third one was.

Dude, Panda blows chunks, I never use it. Get AVG or Kaspersky if you want good A/V software. AVG is even free!

Ben

Site Developer
chillout said:
Didn't Microsoft come out with a new anti-spyware program? I don't remember the name, but last time I went to Microsoft's website I remember seeing a beta version there. Like a few months ago.

Yes, it was called Anti-Spyware but it is now called Windows Defender and includes anti-virus and anti-spyware scanning.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madmat said:
Dude, Panda blows chunks, I never use it. Get AVG or Kaspersky if you want good A/V software. AVG is even free!

I agree, Panda is just as bad as IE is as far as I'm concerned. I was trying to help someone with a problem once because Panda was messing up on them. I decided I would try to do the same things they were doing to help see what the problem really was.

What happened in the end? Panda ate every single e-mail in my sent folder in Thunderbird. Needless to say, I lost respect for that program instantly. It didn't even 'ask' to clean a file... it just went ahead and destroyed all of the e-mails.

phonywish

Obliviot
Always backup your entire hard disk once a month. With the fast DVD writers that are available today, you could back it up pretty fast to DVD-RW. I recommend DVD-RW because this way you can re-use the same disks each month when doing the backup.

It may take a little time and trouble to do the backup each month, but when a disaster happens you will be very happy that you have a full backup. When a virus strikes restore the full backup and no more virus. Or at worst you are put back to where you were before the virus was activated, then you just scan and delete the virus before it activates again.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
didnt take me that long really... I play football, and between classes, meetings and practice, I only have so much time here and there to fix the occasional problem. In all i may have spent 2 hours on the problem after i identified it.

Oh and some of the best $ i ever spent was on my external hdd. :)

Last edited:

xstatic

Obliviot
Orbit said:
Microsoft doesn't sue people for exploiting holes in their products. And if you looked closer you would notice that I said it was going to launch on April 1st. If you still don't understand then, o_O

Ever occur to you that I was making a joke myself? :D