HP to Open Source WebOS; Assures Best Days Are Ahead

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With the major changes HP experienced this past August, the future of its webOS mobile operating system became unclear. At the time, the company effectively pulled the plug on its own webOS-based products, and admitted that it didn't know what it was to do with the software from there-on-out. The final decision took a lot longer to arrive than we anticipated, but I think it was worth the wait: webOS is going open source.

hp_webos_081911.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
WebOS always seemed like a shame to waste, so I hope it does well and gives a Android a good run for its money. .

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member

You are assuming that iOS is considered competition at all. To me, it isn't. Apple can do its own thing and it doesn't matter what limitations the platform has or what the OS lacks... people are going to buy it. I don't believe that anything WebOS or Android do would push Apple towards one direction or another... it does whatever it wants.

MacMan

Partition Master
You are assuming that iOS is considered competition at all. To me, it isn't. Apple can do its own thing and it doesn't matter what limitations the platform has or what the OS lacks... people are going to buy it. I don't believe that anything WebOS or Android do would push Apple towards one direction or another... it does whatever it wants.

For better or worse, that's probably true!