How to protect yourself against hackers?

Uc-ker

Obliviot
Starting a web site soon. A small web site about Warcraft - Frozen Throne. Me and some friends still like to play that game, and going to set up a strategy website.

Planning ahead and curious how do you protect a website against hackers? Precautions should I take before starting a web site?

izzie

Obliviot
Can't worry yourself about hackers. You won't get started on a page if you worry too much about things which are out of your control.

xstatic

Obliviot
Uc-ker said:
Planning ahead and curious how do you protect a website against hackers? Precautions should I take before starting a web site?

Make sure you download every security update for any applications or scripts you use on your web site. For example, a hacker can exploit security holes in a forum. If you have a forum installed and do not download the latest security updates, then you are asking to have trouble. Same applies to any other applications or scripts you use. Security holes can be in any script or application. Always go to the homepage for the program you are using and get the latest updates. Better safe now then sorry later.

Ben

Site Developer
Really the host should take care of all of these issues. The biggest problem you'll have is with any scripts you host on your site that may have holes. The best way is to use different passwords for everything. Write your passwords down on paper, the hackers can't see the paper if its on your desk. Yes, other people can see it, but how often do you have people running by your PC looking for passwords? Not a lot for me, and if you do, you can always hide it in a drawer.

Ben

Site Developer
I meant in the context of security issues. The host should have a secure PHP installation to hopefully catch most of the feces.

phonywish

Obliviot
Orbit said:
I meant in the context of security issues. The host should have a secure PHP installation to hopefully catch most of the feces.

I disagree that this is likely. Most hosts around today are after the fast bucks. You get hosting for $5 / month and its up to the user to deal with the problems.