How to NOT set up a RAID.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
So.. I bought a 160GB HDD today.. because I'm running out of room on my other space, and I refuse to take music OFF my computer, even though I back all of it up.

Well, I set up a RAID without much thought, and I must have set up the wrong RAID without thinking. Next thing I know, my music HDD was completely deleted!

Check the attachment to see what made me get a little.. irate. :D

Last edited:

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
I came close to this one!

Yeah, I build a new system, but with one old HDD carrying over.
I carefully read the lacking instructions about the nature of RAID, but Mirroring and Striping didn't sound friendly at the time. Good that I first went online and read about RAID.
So now I am stuck with three HDDs with different storage capacities and features, and so I still have no RAID.. :(

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I hear you there man. I still haven't fully figured out a RAID, and I figure since I don't need one, I just leave it be.

What exactly do you want to use your RAID for?

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Hahaha...yeah, seeing that my new MaxLine III w/ 250Gb, 16Mb cache, SATA II, and NCQ, doesn't seem like I need the extra speed that RAID users talk about! I suppose data security by mirroring might be of use to people who really really need the back-up. Besides shaking your HDD violently while it's in operation, or feeding it some water and food by mistaking it for a pet, I don't think it's much of a benefit....I'll be 130 bucks short if I did want the RAID for the Maxline! :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Man, you have a nice HDD on your hands.

As for RAID, I have yet to see an actual speed benefit. Mirroring is good for security, but that's about the only reason I'd set up a RAID for.