How to Make Your Own Cat5e Network Cable

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Despite their simplicity, pre-made networking cables are expensive - especially if you're in need of outfitting your entire house. Luckily, making your own cables isn't only far less expensive, but easy, and perhaps even a little bit fun. If you're still unsure, read on as we explain the entire process from start to finish.

Read through Greg's tutorial on building your own network cables and then discuss it here!

I can't believe I'm getting a hankering to go make some cables...

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Full disclosure... I never paid BlackAndy. I essentially stole his spool.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master

NICE. Anyone knows what the deal is with the plastic inside cat 6 cables? At least the premade ones?

I needed to do about 90 feet from one room to another. Instead of buying a spool i would never use I bought a 100 foot cable and cut it up for my needs. Inside was a + sign shaped clear plastic strip going the full length. Had to cut it at the sleeve cut, makes it difficult to put connectors on.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
NICE. Anyone knows what the deal is with the plastic inside cat 6 cables? At least the premade ones?

I needed to do about 90 feet from one room to another. Instead of buying a spool i would never use I bought a 100 foot cable and cut it up for my needs. Inside was a + sign shaped clear plastic strip going the full length. Had to cut it at the sleeve cut, makes it difficult to put connectors on.

That + shaped piece of plastic is called a longitudinal spacer. I'm not entirely sure what purpose it servers but I assume it has to do with signal integrity.

GrimResistance

Obliviot
I'm a cable guy so I get all the free cat-5 I want :) I have a picture of the B-pattern on my phone that I use for reference but I pretty much have it memorized now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
See, this is why I like articles like this. It brings people out of the woodwork :D

Nice to see you around Grim, sit a spell!

jreagan

Obliviot
The "how to" didn't specify whether orientation of the RJ45 connector. While it wouldn't matter if you are doing both ends as long as you are consistent, it does matter if the other end is in a punch-down block in a wall plate or a patch panel.

I would update the "how-to" to number the wire color diagram (1 thru 8, left to right), draw up a plug (male and female) also with number; and say to hold the RJ45 connector with the locking tab in the downward position.

BlackAndy

Obliviot

Wait, I actually think I got that spool for free...
The first thing I did when I bought my house in 2006 was to hardwire and install network wall plates in every room. BEST THING EVER! (house tech related.) It allows for fast, stable streaming and gaming, and I keep my router and modem out of the way in the garage.
-BlackAndy