How to get into a Seagate FreeAgent?

John Little

Obliviot
Hello, everybody.
Can anyone tell me how to open a Seagate FreeAgent external drive? (Without breaking it, of course.) I'm usually pretty good at these things, but I don't see any possible access point.

Thanks for any help.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Unfortunately, I don't have a foggy clue. Tater might be able to give you a few hints, he reviewed one a few months ago. If you are simply wanting the enclosure, thats an expensive project that will most certainly void your warranty. Regardless, sorry that I can't help you. Hopefully Tater can give you a hand.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Hello, John.

When I reviewed the Seagate FreeAgent Pro hard drive, I did not see any easy way of taking apart the drive. I think there may be a single screw on the bottom of the unit that separates the base from the drive enclosure, and this might allow the two halves of the upper shell to be spread apart. Beyond that, I haven't explored disassembling the FreeAgent Pro drive any further. If you're thinking of gutting a FreeAgent drive, I'd advise against it. The drives that are used in external hard drives are sometimes slower-performing than the standalone 3.5" drives that the manufacturer sells for internal use. I don't think the drive in the FreeAgent Pro I reviewed is a 750GB Barracuda 7200.11 model.

John Little

Obliviot
changed my mind

According to SEagate, the drive in the Freeagent is a 7200.10, which is what someone said in another review. But... I've decided against taking it apart, anyway!:) I was going to put the drive in my computer as an internal, and I've decided to just buy another drive.

Thanks for the reponses.