How-To: Disable That Nagging Windows Force Reboot Prompt

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If you are a Windows user, then there is little doubt you've been in this situation. You are working away, multi-tasking with five or more applications... finally getting some work done. All of a sudden, a prompt rocks up the bottom right-hand corner telling you to reboot to finalize updates. This of course, will pop-up every few hours at best, so you really have no choice but to succumb to it's unpleasant nagging.

Luckily, The How-To Geek has posted a... how-to, on how to disable these prompts. This can be done with a simple registry hack or by use of a small application. I tend to re-install Windows every other day, so I am not sure how much use it will prove to be to me, but luckily I am in the minority. Give the article a gander and show that prompt who's boss!

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
windows_vista_forcable_restarts_101507.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
We've all been at our computer when the Windows Update dialog pops up and tells us to reboot our computer. I've become convinced that this dialog has been designed to detect when we are most busy and only prompt us at that moment. The real problem comes into play when Windows gets tired of reminding us and says that the computer is going to reboot in 5 minutes, and the only way you can prevent the inevitable is to temporarily disable Windows Update.

Source: The How-To Geek