How much hard drive space do you have?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Because of all the storage discussion lately, I figured I'd pop the question of how much storage space you have in your main rig?

Currently, I have around 860GB in my main rig, although only half of it is actually being used currently. That's comprised of the recently reviewed 500GB, a WD 200GB and a WD 160GB.

All my space houses a lot of my music collection, temp storage and four operating systems.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have 2 Seagate 250GB drives and a pair of Raptors. Raid 1 for the storage and Raid 0 for the boot drives. I also have a 160 GB Seagate P-ATA drive for back up.

That 410 GB of storage is more than enough for me. Sort of.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Got an 80G IDE and a 250G SATAII both of which are WD Caviar editions. Still haven't put windows on the sata. Stuff keeps coming up and I just don't feel like reinstalling everything.. again.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I've got two 160 gig WD1600JDs (SATA, 8 meg buffer) and I've got about 15% free between the two.

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's not all pr0n...besides, then I'd have to shuffle through one of my 400 disks to find it and that'd suck.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
I've got a Samsung 160gb IDE drive for my documents (40gb free) and then two 74gb Raptors. 115gb free on those, I like ot keep them freed up :D

Hopefully going to order another pair of Raptors in the next couple of weeks so I can have RAID0 on four drives :D

moon111

Coastermaker
80 GB WD. I've got allot of stuff on there I don't need. A much bigger drive would be a waste.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
400gb Wd sataII main HDD

ive got 55gb free...

150gb external hdd. WD as well. 20gb free on there. I use it mainly for backups and traveling.

Before i hear one word about 55gb of free space on a 400gb... I have no pron on here. I simply love my music. Talk to me anytime in a chat and you will know this.

8800+ songs and counting. Most at above 128kps

oh and... um... Dvds that ive "backed up"

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
500 gig Seagate SATA, 150 gig Raptor and a WD 500 gig MyBook.
So I guess it's a total 1.15 Tera bites
I back up movie DVD's and watch them on the Plasma TV

Merlin

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Currently using a 250 gig WD as main drive, I have a WD 80gig in a Icy Dock removeable rack for backups and a Maxtor 80 gig external to haul around with me. Not a lot as some, but I don't DL music or video at all.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
2 X 120GB Seagate SATA 2's in RAID 0 and an 80GB IDE for backups. Stil have 60%+ free in the RAID and about 40GB free on the other drive.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Right now I have a pair of Seagate 320GB drives (RAID 0). That houses most anything that I could need on my desktop. I also have a 750GB drive in a Synology NAS for backups and media streaming. Right now, thats more than enough.

With open space though, I am always thinking of things that I would like to get and do to fill it up more. Archiving home movies, purchasing a DSLR camera (thanks Rob for getting me addicted) and getting back into 3D animation. All of this will take up a significant amount of space so as always, there is never enough storage. As soon as I think I am set, I think of new ways to fill it up.

Such a vicious cycle.