How many of you run an OC'd PC?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am just curious here. I like to OC, but personally, my main PC isn't overclocked at all. The reason is just because the CPU is pre-release and doesn't overclock worth a damn. If I did have a decent CPU, I'm sure I'd OC the heck out of it, especially since I've been doing a lot of video encoding lately, which as I'm finding out, takes forever (even on a quad-core Core i7!).

So, how many of you keep your PCs OC'd most or all of the time?

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i OC'd my PC last month to 3.6Ghz when i got the CM V8! Will keep it that way as long as nothing bad happens! :D

Psi*

Tech Monkey
I have 4 machines, all OC-ed as much as possible & they are on 24X7 & often number crunching 24X7 ... if I am lucky enough to have that much business.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I use to run OC'd... till the CPU slowly started to show its age. 6 Years ago, it was a 2.8 running at 3.5-3.6, which for a P4 is damn good going. I had to underclock the memory since it was budget memory, but still did fairly well. But i was thrashing the Voltage, 1.38 running at 1.61, it was murder, but that's because i didn't know what i was doing. I kept it like that for months with a seriously loud Cooler. After about 6 months, i was getting stability issues, so I had to clock it back to 3.4 Ghz and it stayed at that for another 3-4 years. Then it was 3.2.... then 3.0.... and now, I can't Overclock at all. Other PC's i've built, i tend to overclock, usually by about +0.4-0.6, not a huge amount, but enough to be noticeable and suitable for a long term OC. Key lesson i learnt for FSB based systems, you need fairly decent memory otherwise you'll have to drop the ratio and that can hurt performance more than the OC itself could make up for (assuming a locked multiplier on the CPU). Now there isn't a FSB, i have no clue, so it's back to square one for me in the OC world.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Currently I am running my 955 BE at stock volts 3.84 Ghz Cool n Quiet on so it drops to like 900 Mhz and 1.1 v it runs nice with my new cooler I decided on, the megahalems :D My gpu is a 5750 overclocked to hell from 700/1150 to 870/1370. My actual ram is at 1600, I haven't been very successful in getting it OCed yet. The only problem I have is it wont sleep, it will go to sleep but on wake-up it crashes.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I run my i7 920 at 3.0 Ghz. It's a very modest overclock but I enjoy seeing 3.0 Ghz.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I've been away from OCing for some time, but now that I built a retro rig with a wimpy E6300 I won;t rest until it is running 3.2Ghz+ stable.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I run my core i7 920 at 3.9GHZ. With better cooling I'm sure it would go over 4.0GHZ.

Nice. I've been able to get up to 3.6 fairly easy but haven't had the desire to push. Perhaps when winter comes and it's cold outside.

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
My i3 530 has been unstable at anything 4Ghz and up for a while. I know when something is going wrong because one of the start up services will crash so I have been running at stock with my memory running at 1333 instead of 1600.

Chances are I have QPI multiplier too high (I heard it is best to set it so your QPI frequency is the same as your CPU frequency) but should have some time to tinker around tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll finally get around to remounting my heatsink too!

Last edited:

samuelson1

Obliviot
Hi My 955BE is running at 3,7 Ghz with 1,5 V. The temperature in torture test go up until 61ºC with my Noctua. I do that by multiplier (18,5 x 200) because my OCZ Platinium LV doesn´t want to be OC. T tried by FSB and something is wrong and is not stable...but 3,7 is ok for today ;)