How many blades on a razor is too many?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's hard to say, the way things are going. When the Mach 3 first came out, I thought it was a ridiculous idea, until I tried one. The shave was unbelievably smooth. Then along came a four-bladed razor. I tried one for fun, and it felt no different than the Mach 3. Now the one I'm using has four blades AND another one for tight areas, or something foolish like that.

Now, some company named ShaveMate is releasing a razor with SIX blades, a number which the company full believes is the perfect number. Yeah, I dunno. There is no picture of the razor, unfortunately, but just how is having six blades going to make for a better shave over three? Three still makes sense to me, but any more than that, and it seems like we're entering the megapixel-type race all over again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/23/AR2010072305083.html

madstork91

The One, The Only...
To shave a face you really only need one good blade and the stomach to shave a persons face.

To shave my beard though, I usually stick to 4 blades. I dont shave often because I have blond to reddish facial hair (and dark blond hair... yeah its weird)

I just wish the hair didn't clog up on the blades. That is my complaint.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Getting hair caught in the blades is frustrating, but I find it's even more frustrating that the blades themselves don't seem to last long at all. I blame the fact that the blades seem to be so difficult to get dry after shaving, and it corrodes them to a small degree, making the next shave so freaking uncomfortable.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Hard to believe that for over a century gentlemen used just a straight-edge razor for shaving! Those seem to get the best shave still... I've tried one of those 5 blade razors, and while it certainly cut my facial hair damn smooth it also did the same my skin. I stick to 2 or 3 blade razors, never nick myself with any of those. Some companies razors are better at cleaning than others, particularly for getting the hair out of the blades.

Of course I know people that refuse to touch a blade razor and only use electrics, so there's that too. :D