How Does 17,000% Profit Sound?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our news:
It's likely that at some point during our lives, we look back at something and regret it highly. Of course, no one owns a De Lorean anymore, so we can't exactly go back in time to right our wrongs. Luckily, there is a great way to make yourself feel better about the past... look at the major mistakes of others. Such as one eBay seller.

Long story short, this one seller sold a very old bottle of liquor on eBay, not caring to actually proof-read the auction prior to posting. Thanks to that oversight, it sells for $300USD. Seems like a solid sale at first, however the buyer knew what the bottle was really worth. He re-listed the item on eBay a month later, and it ended just a few weeks ago at just over $500,000USD. It's an incredible item but an even more incredible profit.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
ebay_five_hundred_thousand_profit_090307.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
This is a faint glimmer of hope for those aspiring to become internet brazillionaires. Some guy decides to sell a 200 year old bottle of ale but accidentally leaves out one “P” in the brand name. A lucky bargain hunter just happens to see the auction and –realizing the value of the bottle– spends a healthy $300 only to resell it for half a million a little later. Yeah, I’d be mad.

Source: CrunchGear
I'm sure I don't really need to say anything.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
All my best bargains on Ebay come from mislabeled ads and ads placed in the wrong sections.

moon111

Coastermaker
I looked at Ebay once, they wanted a credit card to sell something...so I never looked there again.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Actually, they only use your CC information to verify who you are. They cannot debit your account if you don't pay your fees. They can only suspend your account for that. There are alot of misconceptions as to what Ebay and Paypal can do with your info. People think Paypal can withdraw money from your bank account without your permission. I have been a seller on Ebay for awhile. I have 400+ positive feedback (100% good may I add, LOL!) and I don't even need to have a CC listed with them anymore (and I don't). I still have one registered with Paypal, but that is so I can do instant transfers. Once I find a good way to get paid, I will get rid of Paypal, but for now it is a necessary evil. Either way, you're worried for absolutely nothing when it comes to giving Ebay your info.

moon111

Coastermaker
I refuse to get a credit card. The closest time I've ever needed one is to rent a car, but my father-in-law works for the rental agency... so he pays with an employee discount.

GameMasterNick

Coastermaker
In the states you can get Visa and Mastercard branded Debit Cards that allow for purchases via credit card pos transactions. I think in Canada it's mostly Interac... so without an actual credit card you probably can't sell on eBay.