Hot Coffee Mod

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Finally replaced my old Core i7 920 cube with a more svelte and user friendly HAF-X case. Should've taken a few photos while it was under construction and looking showroom perfect, but I did make a few quick and dirty pics of it in operation.

I was originally aiming for purple liquid to match the black tubing, and it was purple in the jug but for some reason the red dye quickly turned brown in the loop... so now it looks like the reservoir is filled with coffee with dairy creamer in it. I don't drink the stuff so it's better off in there anyway. So now it's just my hot coffee mod. ;)

As for the modded part, this is a HAF-X with the typical double-thick Thermochill triple 140mm radiator stuffed into the top. All that required was six screw holes to mount, even the 140mm fans all fit easily under the plastic top so I really have to hand it to Cooler Master for such a WC friendly design! Room for the pump was actually the biggest problem...

It's still a work in progress, the fan wires will be removed and I'll rewire all the fans through the top bezel next time I remount the radiator. Motherboard has seven fan headers and I stuck a low-speed fan off every one... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7mdzh4yhqo8on3o/0PyW9xrAJs

Under full load at 3.5Ghz the new rig literally uses about 145 watts less power from the wall as compared to the 920 rig. Temps dropped considerably as well and depending on the room temp won't exceed 50c for the CPU cores or GPU core under a sustained load in my low-noise profile. This is a rig that will be near silent in a quiet room while maintaining a moderate overclock on everything.

As a side note. I took my OS drive straight out of the X58 motherboard and plugged it into the Z87 board.... Win 7 booted right up without nary a complaint and a few drivers later it's actually good as new, even all the drive letters are still correct. :D Did have to reactivate it of course, but I guess not a lot has changed in chipsets within the last five years...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's a little bit hilarious that our GPU test rig uses the exact same chassis + PSU (though the chassis will be turning into a Storm Trooper soon).

Kougar said:
I was originally aiming for purple liquid to match the black tubing, and it was purple in the jug but for some reason the red dye quickly turned brown in the loop... so now it looks like the reservoir is filled with coffee with dairy creamer in it. I don't drink the stuff so it's better off in there anyway. So now it's just my hot coffee mod.

By the pictures, it still appears pretty purple? Or was this before it turned to brown?

Kougar said:
Under full load at 3.5Ghz the new rig literally uses about 145 watts less power from the wall as compared to the 920 rig.

That is amazing, but not all too surprising. Those 900 series of CPUs were hot as hell. My brother is using a 920 as well I believe and his CPU literally idles in the BIOS at 50C.

Kougar said:
As a side note. I took my OS drive straight out of the X58 motherboard and plugged it into the Z87 board.... Win 7 booted right up without nary a complaint and a few drivers later it's actually good as new

That tends to work out well, but backtracking would force you to reinstall the chipset drivers (I recently ported an OS from the Z77 platform to X79 and there were a ton of system things not installed in the Device Manager; a chipset reinstall fixed that).

Nice looking PC, man!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
It's not purple at all, quit looking at the tubes ;)

The red dye is apparently breaking down anyway stuff was completely useless. The water is back to a clear blue color although the red left a film I'm gonna have to clean out of the reservoir, bah.

And nah you misunderstand, it required ALL the drivers just for things to work, wasn't able to auto-install any of them which is no surprise honestly. Figured I'd trash the OS with overclocking then decide whether to do a clean Win 8 install or not.

My chip is a pretty bad overclocker, cache coherency is the limiting factor in the OCs so I'm having to adjust other voltages more than actual vcore. It's still one hell of a hot chip... it can reach 90c in temps but the back socket plate is hardly even warm.... Pretty much proof right there that the thermal compound underneath the IHS pretty much ruins high OCing on these chips.

Found some stable settings at 4.3ghz, but still going to try and eeke out a little more.