HighPoint RocketRAID 2310

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Once synonymous with servers, RAID has made its way into the mainstream thanks to the inclusion of onboard controllers by the motherboard manufacturers. Can a dedicated card make much of a differance to system performance? Along with High Point, we intend to find out.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

RR 2310 Question

I was just going to purchase a 2310 to create a RAID 5 storage array on my home PC...

The 2310 seemed to have the best bang for the buck from the other manufacturers I had researched (plus the english user manual can actually be read clearly and seems to be well thought through and precise)...

Is there a chipset limitation (North or Suthbridge) for this board that you are aware of?

When I looked at the motherboard compatibility list on their website it seems to be quite short...

I'm assuming that it will probably work on any board with a PCI-E slot but I don't want to buy the card and find out it won't work with my particular setup...

ASUS A8V-E SE
AMD 3800 X2
2GB DDR 400 RAM
36GB WD Raptor (OS Win 2K)
3 WD 5000 AAKS (SATA II)

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated...

THX

B

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
In all honesty, I cant see any obvious limitations that would prevent you running this card on any motherboard with an open slot. That said, I just lobbed out a question to Hi Point to see if there is anything to their short list of compatible motherboards or if they are just not updating it like they should.

U

Unregistered

Thanx

Hi:

I too had sent an e-mail to High Point asking them if there was any reason to fear the reaper regarding the purchase of their controller card so I'll let you know what I get in response...

Cheers

U

Unregistered

Windows XP driver doesn't install

The card just keeps getting recognized as a "SCSI controller". XP doesn't recognize the drivers as drivers, even. It won't select them even if I point the "Found New Hardware" dialog box to the Win_XP directory.

How are you getting this working in XP?

twhthi

Obliviot
HighPoint RocketRaid failure

Mac Pro 8 core intel, RocketRaid - running FirmTek external 4x1.5t Sata drives

Purchased RocketRaid from HighPoint because FirmTek had not released a OS 10.5.8 friendly card yet. RocketRaid runs external Sata Drives but it will not allow initialization with Disk Utility or even recognize a new drive.

Also RocketRaid will not allow you to boot from an operating system in the external box but FirmTek's card will...although this was implied when I first purchased RocketRaid.

HighPoint tech support initially responded to my tech support request but answer no questions and have not responded since.

Since the external drives mount I assume the RocketRaid card is mounted properly and driver installed correctly. Why then do the already mounted drives not show up in the get info / MacProTower / hardward / sata ?

Is there a work around or way to set thing up so this card will work properly or do I just toss it and buy the FirmTek card?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh, I wish I could help here, but I'm not familiar with either this card, or how Mac OS X handles things. It might be a good idea to go to a Mac-specific forum and ask the question there, because with or without this card, I'm sure this problem has existed for others, and an answer exists somewhere.

U

Unregistered

Anyone else have perf data on their 2310 in a raid 5? Im getting about 12.8MB/sec over a gigabit network with mine. Running win server 2k3r2 and while the raid works the performance is slower than a usb flash drive. I know its software raid5 but damn. My file sever cpu is a dual core e2180 (yeah low end but it just has to do the x0r calc because the pc the raid is on is sitting idle otherwise) and its literally saying it'll take a day to copy 1TB of data at the speed its going... infact its been going for 8 hrs and it still says a day to copy. At this time Im thinking I should have gone with the 3 ware...

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Are you sure that is a Gigabit network? And that all computers involved have Gigabit ports? I ask because 12.5MB/s is the exact limit for 100Megabit LAN ports. ;)