Hey buddy, can I borrow a few bucks?

Krazy K

Partition Master
I'm looking to put a SSD in my ThinkPad, On Wisconsin did for a hundred bucks or so. You can only imagine my amazement when I saw this.

What's wrong with this one?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, that ThinkPad SSD is overpriced because someone posted it there and forgot all about it. SSDs are going down in price, but I wouldn't be too quick to recommend that OCZ one. As far as I'm aware, that's the same drive that's been having a lot of issues with random reads, as laid out in Anand's article of Intel's X-25M:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403&p=7

The controller chip on the SSD is subpar, causing halts during use. If you needed an SSD now, I'd likely opt for the newest model you can find, because chances are good it's not going to have the faulty chip.

Krazy K

Partition Master
Not yet, but it would be nice to do in the next year or so. Just shopping and I thought that was worth a laugh.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The only SSDs that have negated the issue are Intel's drives. The only others that have minimized the problem to an extent it really doesn't become noticeable would be OCZ's Vertex drives. I wouldn't suggest any other drive except one of these.

You can buy a 1.8 or 2.5 inch Intel SSD for much less than that Lenovo drive.