Here's what bloatware should look like...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've been becoming a little more interested in notebooks lately, so you can expect to see more on the site as time passes. If you haven't seen our ASUS M51S review yet, what are you waiting for?

I received a new sub-notebook from OCZ's latest acquisition, Hypersonic, last week and so far am pretty impressed. Still having a huge issue of getting used to such a small keyboard, but I'm hoping that will grow on me. They are not for people with huge hands though, that's for sure.

One thing that did impress me though, was hitting the desktop for the first time. In the screenshot below, you can see there is NO "bloatware" whatsoever. There's simply none installed. Looking under the installed programs list just shows regular drivers and anything system related.

That's how ALL notebooks should arrive. It's nice to receive a nice clean notebook that I didn't even feel the immediate need to wipe in order to perform testing (which I have to do for every other one). I questioned OCZ just to make sure this wasn't something special with review samples, and they said it wasn't. They added that Hypersonic is a company run by guys who genuinely love building rigs, and they have no desire to add bloatware to their rigs. I hope it stays that way... it's one way it sets them apart. If only more companies did that...

But I will counter myself in saying that I DO believe some people like shovelware, especially those who don't know too much about computers. But, Hypersonic, being an enthusiast company... it makes perfect sense that the machines are received as clean as possible.

Attachments

• hypersonic_ag2.png
    hypersonic_ag2.png
    366 KB · Views: 531

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Wow...can't say that about my Sony VAIO (then again it was a steal for $400...)

From what I've heard, the VAIOs are the absolute worst for bloatware. That's why they tried to pawn off a $50 option for pre-bloatware removal (which is now free but available on one model).

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Makes sense. That plus Vista used up to 800+ MB of RAM minimum when I got it in December. Removing about 1/3 of the crap got it down to 550ish MB.

I can't argue tho. I forgot to mention it was my Christmas gift, and it's better than paying for one or not even having one :D

madstork91

The One, The Only...
screw the notebooks... tablets are the "wave of the future"

"wave of the future"...
"wave of the future"...
"wave of the future"...
"wave of the future"...

"wave of the future"